450 Best Batteries

Matt

What are the best 3s batteries I can buy for my Align Trex 450 Pro V2? I’ve got a 3700kv Turnigy motor, 35 amp Castle ESC, 325mm Align main blades, Microbeast FBL gyro, Spektrum satellite receiver, KST servos (cyclic & tail). Money is not an issue. I’d prefer to pay a lot if I can get 5 or 6 minutes of flight time out of them.

Tony

Staff member
Pulse batteries are some of the best out there. Way more pro pilots flying them than anything else. I think they have a 2650mah 3s pack that does really well in a 450. I may be wrong about the size though. Been a while since I checked on them since they are quite pricey.

Matt

So the 2650 mAh is what makes the battery good? The higher the mAh the longer it takes it to discharge? I’ve got 2 Turnigy 2200 mAh batteries and I get about 4.5 minutes of flight time out of them. I’ll have to look into the Pulse. I’ve heard they are good batteries.

Tony

Staff member
Making it good? No. Giving longer run time, yes. Your MAH is your MilliAmp Hours, or the capacity of the battery, or in this case, the "run time". The C rating is how many amps it can discharge at. Just know, there is a charge C rating and a discharge C rating. Then there is your S rating which is how many cells there are in the pack.

Rowdy

i get around 5 minutes on my 450 pro using any 2200mah 3s pack. if your looking for that punch get a pack with a higher c rating. (30+c rating) its harder to fit a much larger battery in the 450 pro. as theres not alot under the "hood".
im not sure how it would affect the flight performance as well, having a pack larger than a 2200.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
If I may chime in. I agree on Pulse battery's, but I have found if its flight time your looking for the biggest influence I find is head speed. Example is I have a set of 5500 Pulse, 45c I use in my 800 pod and boom. At 2000 rpm I get just at 5 minutes to 3.8 per cell. Those same battery's I use in my scale 800 size Bell222 I get nearly 8 minutes at 1300 rpm to 3.8. I'm not sure how long you'll be able to stretch out your flight time with a 450. Capacity will buy you some but IMO not much as Tony mentioned, size and weight become an issue.

Tony

Staff member
Capacity will buy you some but IMO not much as Tony mentioned
I never actually stated how much he would gain with a 2650 over a 2200... Not sure where this came from.

its harder to fit a much larger battery in the 450 pro
This is correct, but the 2650 is not that much larger than a 2200. Very minor differences

But regarding the OP, as Fran stated, a lower head speed may not sound as "cool", but it will definitely give you longer flight times.

Smoggie

As others have said MAh is the amount of ‘gas in the tank’...... A larger MAh battery will give longer flight time but as a general rule they will be physically bigger and also heavier.
The size might be a problem in physically fitting into the heli. Added Weight reduces performance and also has a negative effect on flight time which partly offsets the advantage of the larger battery. A heavier battery might also upset the balance of the heli.
Usually it’s best to stick to a battery that’s very close to the recommended size ‘bigger’ is not necessarily better.

Cyclone 7

Agree with Smoggie - after much 'umming & ahhing' about battery choice for my 450, I came to the conclusion that it was better to stay with a 3S 2200mAh 25-50C and spend the money in having a number of them on hand rather than spending the extra on a fewer number of 'bigger & better' alternatives. The additional size & weight consideration were also a factor in my decision. But like most things, I think it boils down to personal preference and an acceptance of the 'swings & roundabouts' principle.

Tony

Staff member
Why does this seem like a "slam Tony" thread... Whatever. Pulse doesn't make a 2200mah battery. I had thought (and didn't look it up because of being stupid busy) the battery they made was a 2650, but they make a 2250. Just run whatever battery you want, flighttime from one to the other is going to be seconds, not minutes. End of story.

Smoggie

Tony, not sure if that was directed partly at me but FWIW I didn’t intend to ‘slam’ you in any way at all. My comments were just generalisations, I’m sure lots of people fly a 450 on 2650 mah batteries.

The point I was trying to make is not to assume that ‘bigger’ mAh is automatically better. Other factors such as size and weight also need to be considered.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
In my opinion the Optipower packs are the best. As for what's readily available Pulse would be the brand to go for. In the past GensAce was the pack to have. Not sure how they are today.

murankar

Staff member
I have heard about Glacier and have good things about them. Just that I never have used them. I have used GensAce and Pulse.

Tony

Staff member
Tattu batteries are the new GensAce. Same factory and are even both listed in the manual you get with them. Great batteries, I have quite a few for quads. Glacier's are great as well. I have run them and they seem to have pretty good power. Pulse, you can never go wrong with. I know Geena runs a great battery and they donate to a cancer society. @Geena what is the name of those batteries? I can't remember.

Geena

Staff member
Tattu batteries are the new GensAce. Same factory and are even both listed in the manual you get with them. Great batteries, I have quite a few for quads. Glacier's are great as well. I have run them and they seem to have pretty good power. Pulse, you can never go wrong with. I know Geena runs a great battery and they donate to a cancer society. @Geena what is the name of those batteries? I can't remember.
They`re called TaTa packs. I have two sets of 6s 5200 mAh prototypes that I have been using since before I left TSA Model in 2015, and they are still going strong.

Matt

B2D971EA-AE40-4217-A130-25532C93070C.jpeg 2BD118AE-BC12-40B4-B120-5AD608898D73.jpeg
So I did buy a couple 2650mah batteries.
They are considerably bigger than the 2200mah batteries.
They don’t quite fit under the canopy of the Trex 450.
I do get 6.5 minutes of flying time from the 2650mah batteries vs. 4.5 minutes of flying time from the 2200mah batteries.
My head speed is up there as I’ve got a 3700kv motor in there now.
The 2650mah batteries aren’t much heavier than the 2200mah batteries so they don’t really effect flying.
There are 2250mah batteries from Pulse that are 65c discharge but not sure what the difference to 30c packs.
They are also quite expensive as they are about $40 per pack.

Top Bottom