500 Belt wear

trainrider06

ok the heli has only been test hovered about 5-6 times, I just put it together not too long ago from parts I picked up online here and there. I am not sure who made this tail section, because it came in a parts bundle that I purchased along the way to getting parts to put this thing together.
I had it bound to my DX6i, got a DX8, and was setting it up on the 8 when I noticed this:
image.jpg
To me it seems the belt is riding to one side more so than the other causing wear....

image.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Possible, but where in the line is it rubbing? To fix it you may need to shim something to get the belt to center up on the pullies.

trainrider06

From what I've seen so far, it looks to favor riding on the side away from blade grips on the shaft that's where the belt is fraying. Thinking about it, I beleive that belt had a very slight bit of fraying to begin with. I do remember questioning it and
Thinking I need to keep a close eye on it.
Might be the belt is just continuing to fail.

Is there a way to snake a belt on there without removing the shaft? I was just thinking that if I loosened the belt took side plate off the tail section, snaked a wire with a hook Down the shaft and pulled the new belt through I'd save a bit of time...

murankar

Staff member
Its either riding on the tail pulley or the tail drive pulley on the main shaft. Unfortunately you will need to disassemble the rear tail block to get the belt out. Now you could remove one side and try that.

trainrider06

There is a plate on the side where I could skip it through, bu am thinking like you said I may need to replace either the drive pully or tail, something obviously misaligned there to wear that quick. I may get another belt and slip it on there, just do some test hovers to check for any wear, I have the original plastic tail section might try that also and see how it's tracking. I just hate to fiddle with it because my blades are right on the money on the tail. Holds fantastic with that little quark gyro on it!

Tony

Staff member
It's normal for a belt to ride back and forth, but that kind of wear is not normal. With any fraying like that, I would be ordering a new belt. And while you are at it, order new drive gear and tail shaft and just replace everything that the belt touches. And I always removed that idler bearing there on teh top of the tail block in the rear.

Tony

Staff member
I removed mine because it locked up and I never had a slipping issue. So I just left it off.

Top Bottom