Boats Beginner Question.

David Albert

RandyDSok

It's going to depend on what application ( specific car, truck or boat ) you are expecting to use it in so you can select what voltage and amperage will be required... That motor lists between 9v - 19v and will pull between 88a down to 42a depending on what voltage you run it at and the load the application will require.

To generalize a little so you have a bit of direction.... ESC's will have a voltage range they will work in and be able to supply up to a certain amperage. You want to get an ESC that will provide a bit higher amperage for the voltage you are going to use. Batteries are similar in what you want them to be able to provide... at what voltage you select to use, you want them to provide more amperage than what will be required. If the batteries don't have enough extra overhead on the amperage output, you'll get a voltage drop which affects your performance.

You don't want to over size things too much because that adds additional weight. You also want to consider the space that the batteries and ESC take up.

So start with what the vehicle you plan to use it in recommends so you know the voltage that's needed. When you know the recommended voltage, you can look at the max amperage for that voltage that the motor will pull. When you know the max amps the motor will pull, you can select an ESC that can provide the voltage and amperages you need. With all of that info... you can select what batteries will best fit the application.

RandyDSok

I probably should have started with disclaimers and all that... but just now sort of thought of those... ( it's late here ... so sue me I guess... lol )

You are sort of jumping off into the deep end here from the sound of it, not that its any of my business really. Still... you shouldn't be starting with custom building anything without first knowing what you are actually doing. The recommended method is to always start at the beginning and work your way up until you know more of what you are doing before you go to the next step... Just like going to school... you don't start off in college.

I recommend you find a kit or set of instructions that lists exactly what you need so you don't waste money on parts that may not work for the application you've chosen. Good luck no matter what you do... and remember to have fun doing it.

Top Bottom