Scale beginner pitch and throttle curves

Wayner

This is my second attempt at trying to set up a CP heli. Does anybody have any good pitch and throttle curves for a newbie learning to fly. I'm building a trex500 clone with a futaba t6j radio. Just want to do scale calm flying, none of that 3d stuff....thanks for any suggestions......wayne

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Wayne. +10/-10 is a good place to start for pitch. As for your other settings...that depends who you talk to. I have a 500 with a fuselage and my settings are calm. I have 46/48/50/75/100. Give that a try. You'll see a change then take it from there. Just my 2 cents

Wayner

Hey Wayne. +10/-10 is a good place to start for pitch. As for your other settings...that depends who you talk to. I have a 500 with a fuselage and my settings are calm. I have 46/48/50/75/100. Give that a try. You'll see a change then take it from there. Just my 2 cents
is that +10/-10 the pitch range?...don't you need -1 just to keep it on the ground while it's spooling up and then +10 or so to fly it?...I dont plan any inverted flying.....wayne

Rob Nuss

Hi Wayne
I'm new at this too. This is probably heresy to all the acro guys but here's what I've settled on in terms of a five point pitch curve. Flying trex 450 with beast x plus, spectrum 6 DXE radio. Pitch curves at 0, 3,5,7,and 10 degrees. What ever numbers in the pitch curve radio to give me these degrees. Lots of guys recommend a slight negative degree at low throttle so it doesn't try to lift off in a gust. Been flying this helicopter since June and I'm still using about 40% on the dual rates and 35% expo. I'm sure these numbers sound pretty slow and sloppy to young quick reaction guys but I'm a 75 year old beginner, so I need something slow. The fuselage is an Augusta 109 in Coast Guard rescue colors. Good luck.

Wayner

Hi Wayne
I'm new at this too. This is probably heresy to all the acro guys but here's what I've settled on in terms of a five point pitch curve. Flying trex 450 with beast x plus, spectrum 6 DXE radio. Pitch curves at 0, 3,5,7,and 10 degrees. What ever numbers in the pitch curve radio to give me these degrees. Lots of guys recommend a slight negative degree at low throttle so it doesn't try to lift off in a gust. Been flying this helicopter since June and I'm still using about 40% on the dual rates and 35% expo. I'm sure these numbers sound pretty slow and sloppy to young quick reaction guys but I'm a 75 year old beginner, so I need something slow. The fuselage is an Augusta 109 in Coast Guard rescue colors. Good luck.
Thanks Rob...I'm 67 so in the same league as you....what does your throttle curve look like...I read an almost flat throttle curve is good because then you are only dealing with the pitch....something like 0, 60, 80, 80, 80, ?......wayne

Rob Nuss

Straight linear for me. 0,25,50,75,100. Only use one flight mode. I use one switch for throttle hold/cut at -130%. Have TX set up so all switches face up/forward so before I lift off all switches are the same.
Just curious what is your source for scale fuselage. I have one from France and one from China. I'm sure there are lots of guys out there that feel this linear set up is a poor way to fly and I'll never learn the proper way. But I'm just cruising around with no aspirations to get upside down.

Cooldisel

hi
i normally have this reciepie for any heli i fly then i tweak it
1: -3 ( 0% throttle)
2: 0 (50%-55% throttle)
3: +5 (hovering with 60%-65% throttle)
4: +8 ( 75% throttle)
5: +10~12 (100% throttle)

and if you are using a flybarless system and you dont have the digital pitch guage
try the image below just need to make sure that the heli is leveled before you start

photo_2020-12-20_11-03-10.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Nuss

All looks consistent with what I'm doing except I'm using zero degrees at low throttle so I don't screw the thing into the ground if I close the throttle too abruptly. Finding the digital gauge indespensable. Tried using a pitch gauge app on my cell phone but that's a little clumsy also.
Also still using 8 inch crossed dowels cable tied under the skids for stability. I'm flying out of a pasture so not guaranteed a flat spot when I land. Maybe just a Colorado thing. By the way they seem to fly just fine at 6000 !

Wayner

(looks consistent with what I'm doing except I'm using zero degrees at low throttle so I don't screw the thing into the ground if I close the throttle too abruptly. Finding the digital gauge indespensable. Tried using a pitch gauge app on my cell phone but that's a little clumsy also.
Also still using 8 inch crossed dowels cable tied under the skids for stability. I'm flying out of a pasture so not guaranteed a flat spot when I land. Maybe just a Colorado thing. By the way they seem to fly just fine at 6000 !
thanks for all the info Rob....sorry but don't have good source for scale fuselages. Thought I'd learn to fly first then put a fuselage on it...also, read that the training dowel thing is supposed to be just smaller than the rotor width, mine are about 38 inch across ( for a 500 heli)....thanks again and happy flying!

Wayner

Thank you all for the input....I going to finish the build and use the settings you gave me. Wishing you all a merry christmas and a crash free new year!....wayne

Top Bottom