Because Oklahoma

Tony

Staff member
That last image I posted may show snow, but it is definitely freezing rain. I'm sure Randy will get pictures of it and I'm going to try to do the same. Haven't had an ice storm like this in a few years that I can remember. Not here anyway.

RandyDSok

That last image I posted may show snow, but it is definitely freezing rain. I'm sure Randy will get pictures of it and I'm going to try to do the same. Haven't had an ice storm like this in a few years that I can remember. Not here anyway.

I'm uncertain about Radarscope's precip depiction... for instance it doesn't even show ice as one possibility ( if you drag your finger across the color table, you can see what the colors define ). In short, it may only have rain, mixed and snow as it's only precips that are defined. My desktop radar program, GrLevel3, has 4 types that it can define. It's also possible that RS is dynamically defining it's color table and since it doesn't "see" any ice it's not listed in the color table.

Either way... it's certainly ice or mixed precip here in Norman also. I'm uncertain if I'll get out to take pics unless I need to for work... but if it gets interesting looking, I'll grab the camera and get some shots at the house at least.

liquid1

Nope don’t need ice or like ice, I’m in the power utility industry, seen my share of ice and major snow storms, good luck to you guys hope it’s not bad out there, weathers been great here on east coast last couple days.

Tony

Staff member
It's getting bad. Right now it has moved east but it will hit again tomorrow and thursday. I think Thursday is going to be just rain though.

RandyDSok

I've seen images that show that the Wheatland and Edmond areas got a good bit of ice/snow. In Norman, at least from the west side to central Norman, it wasn't too bad yesterday. This morning on my neighborhood streets and Main St itself... there were just a few spots along the right lane that had ice on it.... most everywhere else was clear. My windows had something around 1/8" at the most ( except in some ice clumps ) across it and it cleared off pretty easily after warming the Escape up for a bit.

On the other hand... today looks as if it may be much worse based on what the radar in Fredrick looks like at the moment. The ice/mixed precip is expected to reach central Okla sometime close to noon according to some forecasts. Here is a p-typed radar shot taken about 9:30am ( ish )... white/blue would indicate possible snow, the pinks are ice and the orange/bronze is mixed precip

Feb21.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Well the heaviest part of this storm is heading right for Randy and I. I think places like Purcell, Pauls Valley will get a little worse than we are going to get, but this is not going to be fun. Had the wife run yesterday and get gas for the genny and diesel for the heater. Had a little issue with the diesel though lol. The handle was froze solid. I get red dye diesel for my heater and tractor (no road tax) and it doesn't have a covering on it so the ice we received yesterday froze the handle. So they brought out hot water and thawed it out. Yea, I bet that handle is REALLY froze solid now lmao.

But we are preparing for this one. School is out for today and probably tomorrow as well for my daughter, my wife is supposed to work tonight, but not sure she is going in. This could end up being a major storm. Oh fun...

RandyDSok

A light freezing mist started in Norman approx 11:30am ... got a couple of drops of rain it with it also on the way to the house.

Here is a current ( 12:05pm ) radar image... It shows the heaviest band just SE of where Tony is located. This scan has a patch of snow showing up just north of Wichata Falls TX, I'm hoping that grows larger and we see more snow from that area later when it reaches our area.

Feb21_2.jpg

RandyDSok

I'm not certain how bad it will actually be in the morning... at least in Norman proper that is. If it's just a thin bit of ice on the streets, I'm unlikely to go in... if most of the streets are clear, I will even if just for a little while.

Still when thinking of a bad ice storm for the Norman area... I keep thinking back to the Nov. 2007 storm. The streets were impassible not just because of the ice ( which actually cleared fairly quickly ) but also because of the number of trees and limbs down.

Here are a couple of shots from that storm...

PB100065.jpg

PB100062.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I don't think this one is that bad, but we do have another wave coming through today.

RandyDSok

Yeah... certainly not that bad. From a couple of private webcams I check, the roads look clear enough to go into work for a bit even... here is this morning's p-typed radar ( showing more mixed precip coming in )...

Feb22_1.jpg

Tony

Staff member
The awesome part of these storms that are coming in today is not only is it freezing rain, but it is severe freezing rain lmao. Nothing like getting hail with your sleet and freezing rain lmao.

RandyDSok

Here is an update... the previous was just a single tilt ( base reflectivity )... this is a composite so it will appear bigger but it's probably not...

Feb22_2.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Yes, yes it did. I was wondering if you were still alive or if all of those kids you have killed you with toys lol.

RandyDSok

This morning started out something like...

stormy-animated-rain-cloud.gif
I really tried to sleep in with the rain and thunder that started this morning... but just couldn't. I also couldn't help think that we've either missed a bullet or missed out on a lot of snow... It's certainly has been an interesting week weather wise.

Tuesday started it with freezing rain. By Weds morning, I had to chip open the door on my Escape to get in but the roads had already cleared. Then another round came in around 11:30am this time was mixed precip from freezing rain and then mostly sleet for the rest of it. Again we didn't get a lot of accumulation and by the next morning on Thurs... the roads were sloshy from the ice but again cleared pretty early. On Thursday... another round started coming in around 10:30am... luckily it switched up to rain for the most part where I'm at. None of these would have amounted to much accumulation had they stuck around... the only issue would have been the icy streets had they been worse.

Friday brought another rounds of rain... and not just a little bit. Last time I looked, our total for the day was about 1.6" ( of badly needed rain btw ). This morning, we had another round start about 7:45a and it's already rained another 0.68" but it looks like it's tapering off and may quit soon.

Had the cold stuck around... and had it been ice or snow... we'd have been socked in. If it had been ice, it would have been a disaster area... But I keep thinking what if it had been snow instead. I haven't seen two foot of snow around here since I was a kid... While that would have socked us in... it sort of would have been neat to see again also.

Top Bottom