General Bearings Questions

Hello everyone,

It will not be long and I will start my very first 450 clone build. I've watched the video's of Tony building the alzrc 450 devil and the video on how to properly build a 450 clone and one thing I have heard was to remove the grease from the bearings and replace them with oil.

I have some questions about that.

- How can you best remove grease from the bearings?

- What type of oil to use? (I now have sewing machine oil, will that do?)

- What to do with the one-way bearing? Do you oil it or not and do you need special oil? (I found a domestic site that offered ball bearing oil and one-way bearing oil separate, hence the question)

Thanks for all advice you can give.

Tony

Staff member
You can leave all of the bearings the way they are, and just hit them with a little oil. If sewing machine oil is all you have, then I guess that will have to be good enough. But it will break down faster than oil that is made for radial bearings. So you will have to apply it more often.

the OWB, or One Way Bearing, if you don't have the proper grease to lube it up, don't touch it. It needs friction modifiers to keep it slipping, but still allow it to grab. Again, don't touch it if you don't have the proper grease.

My suggestion is to head to your LHS and pick up a thing of bearing oil with a needle tip and some OWB oil/grease.

Oh, and we will be working on the Devil 450 live on stream very soon on Twitch. Come check us out. www.twitch.tv/rchelpdotcom

Thank you for the Advice Tony. I guess I will just order the oils and start doing it the right way from the start. And I'm glad I don't have to clean out the bearings for now.

If you do have older bearings and feel they need to be cleaned, how would you be doing that?

Great about the live stream on the Devil 450. I will check it out although probably not live. You usually go live when I'm sleeping, but I'll be sure to view the recording and if I have any additional questions, ask them here on the forum.
Just out of curiosity, what are you planning to do on the Devil?

Tony

Staff member
I use brake cleaner. If you have sensitive skin, use chemical gloves. I use a tool to hold the bearing, in my case an exacto sharpened to a point, and I use the spray to spin the bearing. The spinning and force of the fluid cleans them right out. Here's a video.

As for the devil, It's been a while since I built it, so I might just tear it completely down and rebuild it from scratch. People seem to love that kind of stuff lol.

Great, thanks for the video and I will definitely watch the rebuild stream of the Devil 450.

I have a small request for this. Could you show alternative mounting options for the ESC? I just received my ESC last week and last night inspected it and realized it is to wide to fit under the battery inside the frame. I have tried to see if there is an alternative position and I think I have found 2. Both on the outside of the frame, one is on either side just under the canopy or I could mount it under the frame between the skids, but I'm afraid that might be too risky and I'll damage it sooner. I'm very much open to suggestions.

A Hobbywing Platinum 60A.

I was looking for the 50A but couldn't find it at the time.

I'm now suspecting it is a bit overkill but I also ordered (and am still waiting on) a Racestar KV4000 brushless motor.

Tony

Staff member
It is definitely overkill. The stock ESC for the Align Pro V2 is a 35a. I have it on my Align Pro V2 and on my Devil I think. Might be on my SE-V2. But yea, anything over a good 40 is overkill. And unfortunately, your mounting ideas are about all I can think of.

Top Bottom