General bearing measurement

cobieg

What is the proper way to measure a main shaft bearing ? I need to replace some that are just like those, but are much smaller. I have a digital caliper.

Lee

You measure the inner and outer diameter, and the depth. I'm guessing back to when i bought new bearings for my 450 mains haft. Think they were 11X4X5 or something like that.

llommel

You're right on, Lee. I sold bearings for 17 years. One thing you want to make sure off is if they are sealed, open, or shielded if you buy them from a local bearing supply house.

cobieg

You're right on, Lee. I sold bearings for 17 years. One thing you want to make sure off is if they are sealed, open, or shielded if you buy them from a local bearing supply house.

So I measure the outside, then the shaft size, then the thickness ?

Tony

Staff member
If you have a hole and no bearings to measure, you will measure the opening where the bearing will sit, measure the shaft the bearing will have put through the center of it, then measure the depth of the hole the bearing will sit in. This is much harder than just measuring an actual bearing when you will measure ID/OD/Depth as stated above.

Top Bottom