General Bearing Lube

Fly-n-Low

What do you use? When I was learning how, I built an extra head and tail boom, so in 30 min or so I could be back up. Well the bearings in the spare head's swashplate corroded. The replacement was rather costly. Since then I have lubed all bearings with light oil.

Is this a problem with anyone?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I taught myself to fly with a Trex 500 on a dare. Never had planes, but I did have boats and cars. I bought a sim and spent a few months practicing.

My son videoing me several years ago....

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Nice flying. The bird sound good and looked stable. I also like the sunset with the sun being in the middle of all the clouds. Keep up the good flying :). As for lube, my self I use white lithium grease for the price.

Smoggie

Heli bearings are usually of the shielded type. They are factory packed with grease and not intended to ever need further lubrication. The only places that need regular lube are the tail and main shafts where the swash and tail pitch slider travel.

Tony

Staff member
First thing that I usually do when I get a new model is flush out the grease that is in the bearings and put in my Trinity bearing oil. It is light oil like you are mentioning.

I flush out the grease because if it is a cheaper quality bearing, the grease is really thick, and will break down over time. Rather than replacing a bearing because the grease turned into a rock, I just clean then out and lube them with what I know I can get back out of them to do again. Some will say bearings are cheap, I say every dollar you save counts.

murankar

Staff member
I generally use Tri-flow oil and grease for my kids. Seems to work just fine. For the main gear i use 3 on 1 dry lube. Both my OXY 2 and 3 have pinion gear to main gear contact. My Gobby 570 has gear on gear contact that I use the 3 in 1 on. If your belts need lubed then use a spray cilicone. Never oil or grease a pulley that has a belt running it.

Fly-n-Low

Funny you should mention Tri Flow. I saw some car restoration guys using it so I thought I would try it. I have it in a spray can, and in an applicator with a needle on the end. Used the needle to put a drop or two on the bearing, and spin it while it "sank in", then wiped off the excess. I haven't been lubing my gears. I thought metal pinion and plastic ring; it would be okay without as long as the back lash was right....?

My belt seems to be fine. That swashplate though, what a waste. It felt like it had sand in it and I knew it was trashed... Never run. I never lubed it at all, so with the corrosion I would have to say it wasn't lubed. And it has been sitting installed on the extra head in my house...

As always, thanks for the advice!!!

Geena

Staff member
I don`t oil bearings as a general rule. As mentioned above, they are sealed and factory greased already. The only bearings I do lube are the thrust bearings in the head and tail rotors. For those, I use TriFlow clear synthetic grease. For the plastic gears, I use Dry fluids gear lube, and for the one way bearing, I use a few drops of automatic transmission fluid about every 20 0r 30 flights. I also use Dry Fluids helicopter lube for areas like the swash plate ball joint, and main shaft and the tail output shaft/slider.

Tony

Staff member
Ha, I have never thought about using ATF on the OWB! That is brilliant. Already thin at 10w, has friction modifiers in it already for it to grab and is super cheap! Love it!

Geena

Staff member
Ha, I have never thought about using ATF on the OWB! That is brilliant. Already thin at 10w, has friction modifiers in it already for it to grab and is super cheap! Love it!
It works great, and it won`t attract dirt and grime like grease will. I keep a small bottle of it in my toolbox. The bottle is from an empty Dry Fluids I had. Has the application needle on it, so I can reach in there and apply it.

Top Bottom