600 Bearing Housing Stuck:(

Graham Lawrie

I have been working on an issue with my Trex 600 tail.I found the braing had moved on the torque tube rubber housing, easy fix.

I then found play in the tail rotor bearings. I changed one side and the thrust bearings. On removing the other i found the main issue was a bearing in the early stages of failure.

I removed one no problem, the other broke up on removal. This is where my issue now lies. The outer race that is an interferance fit in the rotor arm is stuck solid. Due to the small od (10mm) it is hard to remove. I have ordered a new one, but i will not be beat with the removal of the outer bearing and then use this one as a spare:)

I have tried heating the arm with a soldering iron, but due to the size and conductivity of heat of the aluminium, the co-efficient of linear expansion does not allow the race to free itself:( (Heats up to quick).

I am now going to try and freeze it. Hopefully this will work.

Any other methods feel free to let me know.

In normal working situations i run weld on the outer race and the heat contracts the bearing and it drops out.

Cant do that here so............

Tony

Staff member
Um, heat it in a toaster oven, then throw it against the wall? lmao. I hate when this happens.

Graham Lawrie

The new parts arrived and i have fitted and tested them, seems ok, but tailis still going anti-clockwise:( Further investigation required:( I am tempted to put the Brain on it:)

Graham Lawrie

what do you mean the tail is going CCW?

I had trouble with the tail going CCW and thought it was the 3GX. I changed to an Align GP750 and it was sitll going CCW. Correction direction etc is spot on.

I then stripped the tail and founf the torque tube bearing rubber housing had moved and was a bit "chewed". As i had a spare tail/TT and bearings i changed it.
I then noticed play in the tail, so stripped it and could not remove one outer ring of bearing. Today i fitted new black tail gears and shaft, bearings and new rotor holders, feather shaft etc.
It was smooth as anything, thought i had cracked the CCW fault, but alas no:( I found myself trying to compensate the CCW movement at spool up just before lift off, to a silly degree, so spooled down, and now to investigate further:)

Tony

Staff member
Grab ahold of the head and try to turn the tail blades. Might have a gear somewhere that is slipping.

Graham Lawrie

All new gears, new bearings main head and tail, new torque tube and tail boom. Even though i say it myself she is smooth:) I thought it was the bearings in the tail and TT but alsas no. Going to redo the gyro setup and see what happens, but first more painting, dinner to make, and mushrooms to pick tomorrow:) No rest for the wicked:)

Graham Lawrie

Just to check the tail:) I have gone over the gyro set up again GP750, and everything is ok?? I wonder if the delay setting was wrong would it make the tail go CCW?

Graham Lawrie

Fast spin. I have had an aileron servo burn out on me as well . Not sure what caused that, ithas been getting hot for a while and buzzing. I don't think it is related to the tail issue:)

Graham Lawrie

Fast spinning means the gyro is reversed.

I have tried it with the gyro reversed on the GP750 and the 3gx and altering the reverse function on the TX. I will not get a chance to work on it till I get a new servo. Aileron burnt out and struggling to get a Futaba S9252 in UK:(

Top Bottom