Beam E4 Resurrection

Heliman450

Hi all, similar theme to my 450X thread but for my second heli. I bought this one as my first kit project in Singapore 2009. Now it's taken second place to my Blade 450X. I didn't want to lose touch with my flybar heli, hence, returning to it. My former heli guru recommended to change the servos, so I had bought three Savoex in 2014 and an Align tail servo (exact serial numbers escape me right now).

I stripped out the old servos and the Rx. as it just didn't fit well in the frame (no need for a 9 channel Rx.). Then checked it over mechanically and found a loose screw and its partner missing. I replaced them using some red thread glue. I don't think it was a big problem but the designer thought they should be there :biggrin1:.

I fitted the servos and ran the wires left/right for the best route into the Rx. Today was set-up day. I watched Tony's video before starting, well done Tony, you didn't have the same problem I got, but there was enough food for thought in the video, thanks very much. My most difficult problem was with the pitch and aileron servos needing to be reversed so that the swashplate operated correctly. My elevator servo was ok so the swashplate was tipped back as it moved up and down with the collective input.

I'm not setup for videoing just yet so sorry for now. Soon, I'll hopefully be able to do some troubleshooting videos and will go back over these issues when I feel more confident with my skills to go "worldwide".

Enough for now, the heli is sitting in the workshop waiting for a test hover, which I plan for Sunday afternoon.

Heliman450

Lookin forward to pix of that heli!

Hi trainrider06 (Rodney), pictures are no problem, I aspire to also being able to post videos but that will have to wait a little while. Fingers crossed.

Good luck in the draw..............hey, maybe I could take some aerial pics using my new quad if I win, there's a thought!

Heliman450

Hi all, quick update. I checked through for the final time before a full test hover at the field. Tomorrow, I'll be off early (weather looking good) with both helis. A real first for me, one can have a rest while I work with the other. YES!

Heliman450

Hi all, quick update. I checked through for the final time before a full test hover at the field. Tomorrow, I'll be off early (weather looking good) with both helis. A real first for me, one can have a rest while I work with the other. YES!

Hi again, I managed to get my early morning testing done and all was working fine until the one-way bearing cashed in its chips. I went on line for some parts (from Belgium) and they stock a good supply of bits for my Beam E4. Total bits 25.55 Euros, shipping 23.50, OUCH! OK, it's not only new parts but still a bit steep, I'll look around closer to home.

Good news is that the Blade 450X performed well and I managed to get two batteries' worth of practice in without crashing :yahoo:

Bye for now,

Heliman450

Hi all, latest update on this one................

I received my package of bits from Belgium (eventually). Stripped out the main rotor shaft and discovered that the one-way sleeve was broken (see photo below). After putting it back together again and firing up for a test on the bench I discovered a broken wire on the gyro! Oh no!!!! Not sure how that happened, maybe a bad joint as it's right against the housing. Fortunately, I can get a replacement without getting it from Belgium so off to the model shop tomorrow morning. The saga continues......

Sleeve Damage.jpg

Sleeve Damage.jpg

Heliman450

If it ain't one thing it's another! I know you must be chomping at the bit to get that thing up and powered!

This morning, I got my new gyro, the guy said "Oh! Gyro for a flybar heli lol!!!" (it was in Swiss German actually) He disappeared for some time and returned with two options. I chose the 59CHF one. No point in spending almost four times that on the second option!

I think I'll check over the soft start on my ESC before trying again. I don't want to shear the new one-way sleeve straight off. I'll probably be doing that on Monday.

Bye!

trainrider06

This morning, I got my new gyro, the guy said "Oh! Gyro for a flybar heli lol!!!" (it was in Swiss German actually) He disappeared for some time and returned with two options. I chose the 59CHF one. No point in spending almost four times that on the second option!

I think I'll check over the soft start on my ESC before trying again. I don't want to shear the new one-way sleeve straight off. I'll probably be doing that on Monday.

Bye!

Well??? how'd it go? Sorry I been away for a bit here....

Heliman450

Hi again Rodney, unfortunately even retired with lots of time to do fun stuff, there are other dark forces at work :homer:

Had some family stuff to take care of, caught a bad cold, didn't get to the workshop or the field. Positive side is that I've been able to spend time in the forum looking at Tony's videos and working on my simulator skills. I've developed a good training programme so the next step is take my Blade to the field and try it out on the real thing. Fit my new gyro so that I can use both helis (hopefully without any crash interruptions).

Keep in touch.

Heliman450

Hi all, quick update with some pictures.

Finished installing my latest workshop upgrade. A levelling table to enable me to guarantee that my helis are sitting correctly and are clamped to the bench for me to work quicker and more accurately. For example, I can now more easily measure the tail travel and degrees. I was able to see that my servo arm wasn't exactly correct due to different travel of the tail rotor blades and now I've set the 10 degrees exactly. Apologies that the photo isn't perfect as I took it by hand with my smartphone.

Bye for now.

10 Degrees Small.JPGTable 01 Small.JPGTable 02 Small.JPGTable 03 Small.JPGTable 04 Small.JPG

10 Degrees Small.JPG

Table 01 Small.JPG

Table 02 Small.JPG

Table 03 Small.JPG

Table 04 Small.JPG

Heliman450

Dude, that table is fantastic!

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm always looking for ways to improve my work environment. I stand up rather than sit after suffering with a back problem for many years. I was also able to check out the helis' accuracy against set squares, sliding bevel etc. My Beam has a three degree forward attitude on the main rotor shaft and my Blade a two degree aft. Just makes it easier to get things right.

Total cost around $20 and some bits and pieces from my "scrap" box.

murankar

Staff member
Nice work. Mine was just a simple solution and yours is like way better. Enjoy the new table.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Forum Runner

trainrider06

Excellent job Phil! Wow! Very nice attention to detail!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi again Rodney, unfortunately even retired with lots of time to do fun stuff, there are other dark forces at work :homer:

Had some family stuff to take care of, caught a bad cold, didn't get to the workshop or the field. Positive side is that I've been able to spend time in the forum looking at Tony's videos and working on my simulator skills. I've developed a good training programme so the next step is take my Blade to the field and try it out on the real thing. Fit my new gyro so that I can use both helis (hopefully without any crash interruptions).

Keep in touch.
Oh those outside interferences! Why can't we all be able to play all day! :wink:

Heliman450

Hi all, sorry this is in the "wrong" thread but the photos are here. When I first tested out my Blade I noticed the tail moving right so I had to reset my tail rotor pitch at the field to stop this. So much for my ace setup beforehand. However, my other fall-back worked fine by taking the measurement (20mm) tip to tip when I'd previously used the protractor to measure the angle. I was, therefore, able to reset it easily the opposite way. If you look at the bottom photo in thread #12, you'll notice that the top blade is pointing to the left, this should have been to the right. I won't make that mistake again.

When I got back to the shop, I measured the angle to be 12 Degrees rather than the 10 it was previously set for.

Bye now!

trainrider06

You got it now, about half of getting the hang of this hobby is making a mistake and hopefully learning not to do it again :).

Top Bottom