600 Battery recommendations

bbj

I just bought a trex 550L dominator and was wondering what is the best battery to use? The recommended size is 2600mAh - 5200mAh 6s. I was thinking of using a 5000mAh 6s with 60C but not sure if this is optimal. Should I use less C and should the 5000mAh be something smaller. I am looking for a battery with good life, nice flying time and will be flying in sport flying mode with no 3D at this time. Also are there recommendations on type of battery to use such as Thunder Power, Turnigy, Gens Ace, or something else. I know this last part may be more a preference of choice but also looking for best price.

bbj

Also thinking of Glaciers or Pulse but Pulse are very expensive so they may not make my buy list.

Tony

Staff member
On the C rating, you want to go as high as you can afford. You can never have too much C rating. And more is better to keep the battery cooler, and last longer.

It seems that most people are running 4400mah to 5000mah packs for this bird. I would go at least 40c on either of those.

As for brand, if you can afford it, Pulse batteries are some of the best out there. Gens Ace next. For a bird like this, stay away from the Turnigy's unless you really want to save money that bad. IMO, the life of them is less than Pulse or Gens Ace.

Oh, and stop talking about the 550. I already want too many toys as it is hahahahaha.

murankar

Staff member
As long as your c rating is around 35c your fine. Anything more than that is a rip off. A lot and I mean a lot of manufacturers are not posting true c ratings on packs. So as long as you have a 35c pack you'll more than likely be around 27 to 29 c.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

Hey there, bbj! I definitely agree with Tony and Matthias. As for the "C" rating, go as high as you can afford (as Tony said) but you can surely stay away from the 50C+ packs (as Matthias said). I say that you can stay away from the higher "C" ratings for two reasons...just as Matthias said, some of the manufacturer's aren't post a "true" C rating and still charging more money for the same packs. You can also stay away from the higher "C" rating packs because you said that you aren't doing any 3D flying right now. I imagine you are going to be doing beginner stuff, sport and/or scale flying. That being said, because you aren't going to be putting a high demand on your packs, anything from a 30-45C pack will suit your flying very well and they should last quite a long time (provided that you take care of them). I surely won't go less than 30C because, when I was first flying just beginner stuff with mild sport flying, I puffed a 20C pack pretty badly. I bought the 20C packs because they were cheap and I wanted to fly. I just didn't know any better. Now that I've got a bit more experience under my belt, I don't have a single pack that is less than 30C. Most are 35 or 45C and they are still quite solid and square, as if "almost" new.

As for the brand to use, again, this is just based on my experience...I do have some of the Blue Turnigy packs for my 500. I've had them for almost 2 years and they are showing very slight signs of puffing. Mild swelling, at best. I have some of the purple Nano Techs for my 450 Pro DFC and they are very solid with no signs of puffing or swelling. I have some Gens Ace and Glaciers for my 600 Pro DFC and they are also still very solid with no signs of puffing or swelling.

Mostly I am a sport flyer. Last year was my first year's experience with any 3D maneuvers so I am starting to, not only push myself but also, pushing my helicopters and batteries.

In the end, the batteries to buy are going to be based on what you can afford and then what experiences you have with each pack. Pulse and Thunder Power are two of the big names that I know of. A lot of pro's use them. I will be getting more of the Glacier packs because the distributor is relatively close, their customer service is awesome, and I'm quite happy with the packs that I have.

Good luck!!

bbj

Thank you for all the response on what to watch for. The C rating was something I did not know the vendors were not truthful about. I probably will purchase 35 -45C batteries since I am a beginner and want to just do sport flying. Now to decide on the manufacturer. The Glasiers look interesting because of the price and they come with the ec5 plugs but still deciding on the manufacturer. I do have another question and that is I notice some batteries are available at 5300mAh. My model recommends a high of 5200mAh and I am wondering if the 5300 should be even on my wish list. Any thoughts on this?

murankar

Staff member
That's what the manufacture suggest you run for weight.

If all you can afford or find is 5200 then fly those. If you can find 5400 fly those. My Gaui X3 has a recommended 2200 mah pack and I fly 2250s. So just get a balk park.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom