Batteries Battery heat sink

RMB677

Guess this is the closest topic that batteries fit in.

Just finished flying my heli and a thought came to mind as I removed the warm battery. Are there heat sinks available for batteries?

Using an aluminum channel with velcro to mount to the heli and to set the battery in would add a bit of weight depending on the thickness of the alum.. The fit would have to be fairly close for good heat transfer. Another thought is a flat piece of alum. with fins to sit on top of the battery and held in place with the battery hold down strap.

This is a project for all you home workshop machinests. If anyone comes up with one I'll take one for a 3S battery.

Tony

Staff member
Moved to correct section, and if your battery is getting too hot, you need to go to a higher C rating.

RMB677

Sorry about that, I didn't go to the second level forums to look for the topic. I didn't think that it would be specific to one type of vehicle.

All my LIPO's get warm after flying, I'm not doing anything to put a heavy load on them, hover practicing, and the voltages after flying are on the safe side, usually around 11.3 V.

murankar

Staff member
It normal for a slightly warm pack. But anything more than that you will need to consider a higher C rating like Tony suggested. On my setup my batteries get warm but nothing to be concerned about. From what I have been told hovering is harder on the system than flying, unless of course you go 3d.

- - - Updated - - -

It normal for a slightly warm pack. But anything more than that you will need to consider a higher C rating like Tony suggested. On my setup my batteries get warm but nothing to be concerned about. From what I have been told hovering is harder on the system than flying, unless of course you go 3d.

Tony

Staff member
It's all good, you attempted to put it in the correct section. I just figured it would be better off in an actual battery section.

The packs will get warm as will the ESC's and the motor. This is normal. As long as your pack is not puffed up you will be fine.

As for the heat sink idea, it will not work very efficiently on a battery. Not only do you have a wrapper around each cell, but you also have a thick plastic wrap around the whole battery. The heat source will be too far from the sink to do any good.

Top Bottom