Motors Battery for 10cc Evolution gas engine

I have been running my 6ft. Telemaster on an OS46 glow engine for several months now. Although the OS46 does the job I am getting sick of the mess and the cost of the fuel. To this end I have decided to convert the Telemaster to an Evolution 10cc gas engine. Although they don't come right and say it, the ignition system appears to require a power source, (battery), with an output of between 4.8 and 8.4 volts. Because I am not real fond of Nimh or Nicd I was wondering if it would be acceptable to use a 2S Lipo pack?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/10gx-10cc-60-cu-in-gas-engine-EVOE10GX
EVOE10GX_a0.jpg

EVOE10GX_a0.jpg

I'm not 100% certain with the answer, but I'd be quite confident in saying there should be no dramas in using a lipo to power the starter.
I'm sure Tony will confirm or deny this statement, but I forsee no dramas in using a lipo to do the power for you

I hope that the Lipo can be used. Charging Nimh or Nicad is kind of guess work, you are not quite sure if the are full charged or not. I guess I could break down and purchase a battery tester.

I really can't see any problem with using a lipo, after all it is purely being used as a source of power, exactly the same as a nicad or or nimh.
Do you have a lipo charger already? Most lipo chargers will be able to charge the nicad, and should be able to trickle charge etc so that they are fully charged.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you can use a 2s lipo to power that engine. max voltage is 8.4 volts.

As for charging NiMh or NiCd, they use what is called "Delta Peak" to find the full charge. Basically, it will raise the voltage up, and when it drops just a bit, it will shut it off. However, those batteries like to get quite warm if you want any kind of power out of it.

Use a lipo, there shouldn't be an issue as long as you keep it under 8.4 volts. So no 3s packs lol.

Yes I have a couple of Lipo chargers. The best one I have came with my Radian but it only charges 2S and 3S Lipos. The charger for my Nimh and Nicd is real cheap. To get a decent charger that will charge them all and show the charge levels cost $50.00 and go up sharply. I may be able to fit one in my budget somewhere down the line but now.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Tony with a "y". Thank you for the information, now I am a happy camper. You won't happen to know what connector they use to hook the battery to the ignition would you?

Tony

Staff member
From what I can see, this thing is meant to plug into your Rx and gets its power from there. No Lipo needed other than your Rx pack.

Interesting. If that is the case I can just bump my flight pack up from a 4.8 Nicd to a 2S Lipo and be done with it. I will post information and pictures of the engine swap that hopefully will begin in a few weeks. Just waiting for the Evo 10cc to come back in stock. One site is predicting that will be in 10 days. One thing I will have to check is if my servos can take that much juice.

Tony

Staff member
Yes sir, you can plug the lipo directly into the ESC as long as EVERYTHING can handle the voltage that is connected to it. Not only will you have a battery with more voltage, but you should save weight over the NiMh pack. Just make sure everything that is connected to that rx is able to handle 8.4 volts.

Top Bottom