Batteries Battery decision after crash

Ken Jackson

What do you guys feel about using a battery that has been in a crash.

IMG_1060.jpg

Obvious damage to the front of the battery. I am going to charge it and see what happens. I do use a lipo bag as of 2 weeks ago.

This battery has 4 flights on it.

Ken

:duh:

IMG_1060.jpg

Derek

Me, personally, I would "junk" it.

I would snip off your battery connector. Cut the wires off at different lengths so that there is no way the wires can touch each other. Then soak the battery in salt water, outside and away from any structure, for a few days so that the battery can be discharged. Then I would toss it in the trash.

This is just what I would do.

Slobberdog

I would have to agree with Derek, you might get away with a slow charge maybe, but if you push that cell an it starts to puff it will break at the seems and most likely destroy the heli it is in.

The question I would ask is would you want to risk your set up over a battery............

I would follow the advice above and bin it!!!

Lee

Pull away that shrink tube to see the cells. If they are badly damaged then trash it. But from the picture, it doesn't look to be the cells, just the end. But if its just a cheap 2200mah Hk battery then why take the risk. Just buy a new one for $9 or what ever they are.
As for how to trash it. You should still discharge it before putting it in salt water. The salt water isn't really necessary. Just discharge it fully to 0V per cell, strip the two wires and twist them together. This will keep them discharged and safe once thrown in the trash.

pvolcko

Are those cells right to the point were the outer wrap ends, or did the impact crumple an area where there was only lead wiring? If the cells got deformed at all then I'd be very nervous about using it.

Tony

Staff member
IMO, this is an "up to you" decision. Me, with one that bad, I would discharge it as stated above and get a new one. Why risk you and your family for a $10 battery, you know?

With that said though, I have an 1800mah pack that was in a very bad crash, and looked like this one. The thing is still holding a charge 3 years later and is not puffed.

If you are tight on money, then just keep an eye on it. If you see it starting to puff, get it out side on concrete or something and let it vent. I use a grill personally to let them do this.

The saltwater is to pretty much dead short it and kill any chance of there ever being any voltage to start a fire. 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water will do the trick. Leave it in there for a week. The same can also be done by hooking a 12v light from a car up to it and just letting it run. Once the light is dead, toss it in the trash. Again, I would wait a week though.

Ken Jackson

OK, I'm still on the fence. The battery I replaced with this one had been in several crashes and was deformed. However once it started to swell I junked it. I went ahead and charged the battery in question, it was only at 3.8 volts per cell and charged up like nothing was wrong. I'll decide later.

In regards to the price of batteries, where do you get batteries. These came from HobbyKing and were $50. I would throw it away if it was a $10 battery. This is a 2650 mAh, 6 cell, 22.2V 45c. If someone is paying $9 or $10 for a battery that size I would be more worried about that then flying with my crashed $50 battery. I think a 20c battery that size is like $30.

Any way thanks for your opinions especially the comment about it bursting into flames inside the helicopter. That is really my biggest fear. A friend of mine has a 600 that has caught fire at least 3 times I know if. He has replaced speed controllers, batteries, lots of wiring. His current theory is that he has never replaced the receiver so we are doing that today. He's spent some money trying to figure that one out.

- - - Updated - - -

Lee, when you say discharge it do you mean using the balance charger discharge mode. I have never used that feature before.

Lee

The price i quoted was for a 3S 2200mah battery. I couldn't see that it was a 6S one. If it charged fine and all is balanced, then i would keep it and do say 5 or 10 gentle flights and low charges, say at 1/2C (1.3A) If its still good then you should be fine. I have batteries that puffed more than a year ago, and i still use them. i just store them in a metal ammunition type box.

Top Bottom