Chargers Battery charging with generator

Lillyryan

Hi Chaps
I have a Kipor Sinemaster ig2600 generator. If I wanted to charge my 3s packs for the quad would I need to run a psu? I would only be charging 1 or 2 packs at a time so it would only be 3amp charge at most.

Thanks

murankar

Staff member
If this is a 110V/220V produceing generator yes. If its a 12v/24v/36v then no but I would not run it directly off a motor based generator. The electricity is going to be "dirty".

So this is an inverter generator. Yes you still need a PSU. These generators take take 12v and inverts it to 110V. These generators are more efficient and are more Ideal in my opinion.

Lillyryan

Ok great. My Sigma dual charger is only 50watt on each side so if I got a 200 watt power supply would that be sufficient?

murankar

Staff member
As long as the PSU has greater watts than the total amount your charger needs. So if your charger is Dual channel at 50 watts easch then a PSU that is rated at 120W or more will be fine. You want your power source to be greater in watts than the total amount needed. Kinda sounds confusing. Think of like your batteries, esc and motor combos. You want your batteries to be higher in amps than your esc and you want your esc to handle great amps than your motor.

By doing this your providing overhead and not stressing out your hardware as much. Thats the whole reason for me upgrading my charging case. My PSUs output just over a 1000 watts at 46 amps. My charger can take 1000w upto 36v at 40 amps. I dont have much head room if I go full bore on a charge cycle. I would rather have to much and not need it than have to little and need more.

Top Bottom