Batteries Battery Charge Rate

Slobberdog

Guys I am using these batteries om my 130x, Overlander Extreme 450 mAh 2S 7.4v 40C Blade 130X LiPo Battery,

it states in the extract here,

"1) Fullymax Radio Control high discharge batteries 40C plus, are capable of 5C charging, but please make sure the charger used is a qualified balance charger without any potential defects."

So the question is -

Am I right in thinking I can charge these at 2.25 amps max, at the moment i am charging at 0.4 amps, but its taking a while, thinking at 1 amp it would cut this down quite a bit and would still remain quite safe.

stokke

Yes, you can charge at 2.25 amps - but I would stay around 3C. So about 1.5 amps - this way your packs will last longer (or so I've heard). I charge my 6C packs at 3C, just to be safe :)

Lee

No worries.
If you are in a hurry to fly then charge them as Marius suggested, but if time is of no issue, then charge them at 1C.

Slobberdog

At least I got the math right, thanks for the reply Marius, yeah will pos set it up to charge at 1.2 amps maybe max, prob 1 amp.

I know these batterise only cost about 12 bucks but I will still take care of them as much as I can.

- - - Updated - - -

Lee, how much more stress does higher rate charging put on batteries

Lee

I have no real info on the life of batteries in relation to how you charge it. Just what i have read about. It will reduce the life of the battery. But i don't buy expensive batteries, so you have to weigh up the pros and cons. Battery life over more time in the air sooner. If you are charging at high C all the time, the battery wont last as long as if you charge it a low C. But as i said, if you find you have a hour spare to fly and your batteries aren't charged, get them charge on a high C. If you are just topping them up after a great days flying, ready for tomorrow or the next flyable day, do them at 1C.

stokke

I do it just like Lee describes. Although I can charge at 6C, I never do it unless I'm in a rush. My Kong Power packs probably has over 100 cycles on the now, and they're still going strong - never been charged over 1C, and always storage charged when not in use.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
I have a 5c charge rate black myself. I max my charger out at 5 amps, about 2c rate. Mine are still going strong and I have about 100 - 200 cycles on them. They are over a year old. Good ol' gensace.

Slobberdog

Thanks guys, think I will up my charge rate a little to maybe 0.6 amps just over 1c, that should improve the charge time quite a bit, but give me good longevity with out stressing them.

Stambo

I charge my batteries, all of which state 5c charge rate or more, at 2c max if I am in a hurry but mainly 1.5c.
I have 3s batteries with over 150 charges on them.
My suggestion if you want to get in the air faster, at $12, buy more batteries.

Slobberdog

Well charging at 0.6 amps or 1.333C gave me a charge time of 25 mins where 0.40 amps gave me 45 mins, so more than happy with that.

xokia

I usually charge at 3C and if I am in a hurry 5C. I've never had any problems. I run the turnigy nano-techs they claim 10C but I've never tried charging that fast. I always balance charge I have a 4 port charger so I charge 4 batteries at once.

Take me about 20-30min to charge most of the batteries I have at 3C. 15-20min at 5C

To me I care about going out flying and not watching a charger charge. So I dont care as much that my batteries last for a really long time. I do my best to take care of them like charge them to storage levels when not in use. But I dont think any of my batteries have ever seen a 1C charge rate. I'll buy new batteries before I end up doing that.

Last edited:

pvolcko

Nano-techs are good. I haven't seen one puff yet, even with dangerously bad charge settings. I accidentally charged a set 1S 500mAh nano-techs with 10S (12V) NiCd settings. The one eflight stock battery I had on the balance cable puffed out bad and was toast. Nano techs barely got warm. Did a discharge and recharge at correct settings and they were fine. Still use them today.

Top Bottom