Batteries Batteries For Racing Quad

bigone5500

If I wanted to have a mild flight, would it be advisable to use a 3S lipo? I am looking at some 3S 1800mah 75C.

Tony

Staff member
They will do fine. Definitely get the higher C rated ones though. Those 3s that I have are crap on these higher powered quads.

Derek

just my opinion here....I think 1800mah packs weigh too much for our 250 quads. The small group of guys that I fly with, and myself, use 3S 1300-1550mah packs. Pulse and Thunder Power are among some of the best branded batteries available but they also come with a steep price. I've heard a lot of people are having great success with the Turnigy Graphene packs. As long as you order them from the US warehouse, you should get them in 3-5 days. I like the Glacier packs from BuddyRC. They are in Ohio. Great customer service and fast shipping.

bigone5500

A question pertaining to these packs is how can one be certain about the authenticity of the claimed 'C' rating? I see packs at 65, 70, 90, and some to puport in excess of 100C! Is this absurd? A marketing scheme? The 2200 3S 30C pack I have has 14ga wire, the 3S 1300 20C has 13ga wire. The packs I am looking at are 4S 1500mah 70C and have 14ga wire. Is the wire rated for the amperage that the higher C pack can discharge? Do they simply put 14ga on the smaller batteries because it fits the connector better?

Some of this isn't making sense to me from an electrical point of view. Last thing: Is the ampacity of silicone covered wire higher than other wire such as THHN?

Top Bottom