Batteries batterie Question / SETUP

choosing the correct lipo battery
Hello to all fellow hobbyist i'm nw to the forum and new to electric airplane so let me give it a try I purchased a dmz Cherokee spacewalker EP-400 a few years ago from a r/c airplane show here in new jersey. I took out of storage a few weeks ago and started assembling it. now it came with a 370 motor. and at the show they recommend that I buy a 30 amp esc and a ty1 sanyo n500ar 8.4 v 500mah cadnica. the prop is 7x5.5 now I was wondering since i'm just getting into this side of r/c dose the setup seem to be wright for this plane? I actually would like to change the battery to a lipo battery could anyone tell me what lipo battery would be best for this setup? THANKS Rc-Help forum

Tony

Staff member
IMO, I would, if this is a brushed motor, change over to brushless. No maintenance other than oiling the bearings and nothing wears out like on a brushed motor. Plus, you will get more power. All you need to do is match the outer can size. Then, get an ESC to match. As for the lipo, 8.4 is a 2s battery in lipo terms. I would suggest a 3s for more performance and rpm out of the motor. If they are calling for a 500mah, I think you should be able to stuff a 1000mah 30c lipo in there. this is all based off of you using NiCd or NiMh batteries though. I have no idea what a "cadnica" is

as far as measuring the can this is a Stock Brushed 370 motor and gear box so now i'm still stuck Here is a couple of pictures I uploaded maybe you could help me by suggesting what would be a good setup for the plane since this doesn't look like a good setup I was kind of leary about the whole setup when the person from the air show sold it to me so any help would be appreciated I would like a motor a esc a lipo battery the plane would handle.DSCN1156.JPGDSCN1144.JPGDSCN1140.JPGDSCN1148.JPG

DSCN1156.JPG

DSCN1144.JPG

DSCN1140.JPG

DSCN1148.JPG

Tony

Staff member
There is no way I can tell anything from the pictures. If you want, you can get a brushed ESC and stick a 3s lipo in there if you want speed. If you want something that will keep the motor alive longer, then go with a 2s. I'm still thinking 1000mah though. Maybe 1300 for a 2s.

Tony

Staff member
Roger that. If this were my plane, I would try a 2s 1300 and see how ti goes. If it doesn't have enough power, you can try a 1000mah 3s, but you run the risk of putting too many volts into that motor and burning it up.

Tony

Staff member
Yes sir, it sure is. When you take off, it will want to pull to the left, so be ready for it.

Top Bottom