James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi everyone,
Well despite the many days of rainy weather, still can get some flying in. Let me share with you something I did last year and has taken off with an increase interest and following this year. At my grand daughter's preschool kindergarten last year's graduation, I met and spoke with the owners of the school and headmaster about the school's summer camp programs. When they learned I flew in Vietnam and now as a hobby the interest took on a new meaning. To make the story short I agreed to give a demonstration of flying. Being this was the first time with the help of my son in law Carey who is also retired military. He served 24 years in the navy as a medical corpsman but did over 22 years with the marines. He saw action during Operation Desert Storm (was with the first wave of marines to hit the beaches in Kuwait), twice in Iraq and another two in Afghanistan. He made up training certificates on the computer with the school logo and mascot and image of a helicopter as a back drop. He used a high quality paper that in it self could be displayed without a frame. He too is a RC pilot and also flies drones with HD cameras and helicopters. I borrowed my oldest grandson's Ares coaxial helicopter to fly in the classroom. I also brought my Real Flight simulator with my laptop computer. Each child had a chance to learn how to fly on the computer. I set them up on a Horizon Hobby CX2 coaxial copter. I bought with me my 300 size CH53 helicopter that has operational navigation lights and explained to the children what the colors were for.
This year I'm going to order on ebay junior plastic pilot wings that have a happy face decal. They come 16 to a pack. My oldest grandson and family moved to Maryland so I don't have his. Will most likely buy another small bird to use in the classroom. Will put a 600 size helicopter with training gear on the computer for them to practice on. So at the completion each child will receive a certificate and junior pilot wings. The teachers can take pictures of the students to email to the parents. We also talked about me bringing and flying one of my 450's outside. I mention this would be better in the fall so more students could enjoy this activity. Would love to get a good friend from New Jersey who builds and fly's 600, 700 and 800 size scale helicopters to join me. Will work on that.
Oh, PS: another private school heard what I did last year and have expressed an interest in a similar
program . This is just something I came across that we all can use and share with our communities. You never know what a positive effect this would have on our youngest generations.

Tony

Staff member
Dude, that is awesome. I had thoughts about contacting some schools and doing the same thing, but just never had the chance to make it happen. Keep up the great work!

Admiral

That’s a great thing to do, you give a lot but the satisfaction that it gives is tremendous. I did similar with a youth group years ago and I believe some of those kids are in their 40’s and still flying.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi Tony,
You mention that doing something for the children earlier. My friend, watching and studying your videos is my inspiration. I can think of no one more qualified than you in teaching our young the joys of flying. And that comes from the heart.

Tony

Staff member
I think it would be awesome if we could get something like this going in every state. Teach the kids about Rc which is not just a hobby, but also teaches them about electronics, gear ratios, disk loading and many other things.

Top Bottom