General Bare bones Unknown Airframe

Heli 66

Ok,I asked this ? on another thread,but i need to know what size Batt i need for this Heli,I don't know what size the motor is. The closest thing that i think even comes close is a Century Swift 550 with a 600 Plus motor,but i'm not sure any help would be appreciated, Thanks

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Heli 66

Tony said that he thinks it might be a 550 Blades stretched out is 49 1/4 inches, individual blades are 22 1/4 inches andCoolgabsi said to get a 100A ESC and Tony said he used a 60A so i'm getting confused on what to get for it, Don't i need to know what size the motor is,so i know what battery size to get. Coolgabsi said standard servos. I already have a Rx. I don't even know where to mount everything as i don't know what it is

Last edited:

Lee

From the blades it should be a 550 size. This will take a 600 motor and anything from 2600mah to 5200mah 6S battery according to the 550E Align manual.I have a brand new 100A ESC from my 600 that i never used if you are looking for one. It comes from the Chaos 600 Heli and was a spare i had.

Tony

Staff member
They connect to the motor. Polarity doesn't matter. If the motor spins backwards, just flip any two wires.

Heli 66

OK got it, would this be a decent battery, Blue Lipo 6-Cell 3000mAh 22.2v 6S1P 20C RC Battery. Is that a decent ESC also??

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
The ESC is okay. Not sure on the battery though. My 500 used one of those batteries, but my 600 used two of those batteries. So I'm not sure what size a 550 would need. I'm sure someone else does though.

RandyDSok

OK got it, would this be a decent battery, Blue Lipo 6-Cell 3000mAh 22.2v 6S1P 20C RC Battery. Is that a decent ESC also??

Basing this info off of a RCM-BL600M HML60M01 motor ( I believe this is what Align sells in their 550 size heli, I'm not saying this is what you have since your the only one that can say for certain on that note )... the motor will pull 80a continuous and 95a burst

Those batteries are not enough to provide the needed amps.... 3000mah 20c batteries can provide only 60a at best, most batteries are over rated so assume that 60a is only on a good day to play it safe. To be able to provide up to 100a of current... you'd need at least a 33.3C battery if it was a 3000mah capacity battery ( 40C actually since I don't know of any 33C )

Figuring how many amps a battery pack can provide is simple math...

Take the MAH rating and divide by 1000 and then multiply by the C rating....

Using the batts you asked about as the example...

3000/1000 = 3.... 3 x 20 = 60a

Going another direction on the batteries...

For a 3000mah battery to be able to provide at least 100a of current... you need a 40C or better C rating
For a 5000mah battery.... you only need a 20C rating or better

I mentioned that most lipo batteries have their C rating overrated... I believe this is true with Blue's also even though they are still decent batteries but at 40C, there should be enough overhead to still provide the amps needed. You may want to actually look at Gens Ace batteries instead... they cost only slightly more and their C ratings aren't overstated. I also believe that they will have a longer lifetime than the Blues in most cases.

Heli 66

So this will be good ?GENS ACE 5000mAh 40C 7.4V Hardcase Lipo Battery . And then get the 100A ESC and servos and i'm good to go?

Tony

Staff member
No, that battery is for an RC car or truck. You want a 6s or 22.2volt. Teh first thing you need to do is figure out exactly what battery that heli requires. Too big, and it's nose heavy, too small and it's tail heavy. As stated, my 500 used one 3000mah 6s, but my 600 used two 3000mah 6s's in parallel to total 6000mah. If this is a 550, you could be looking anywhere from 3500-5500mah, but you need to make sure. And from teh sounds of it here, the only way you are going to figure that out is to figure out what it is by research and looking at a bunch of pictures on google.

RandyDSok

I believe the motor will be the determining answer to most of your questions about the battery. Look for any part/motor numbers to see what it is

The numbers I gave were for the motor that came with the Align T-Rex 550 and that was a 6S motor... but they were only for talking points to describe how to determine if a battery would provide enough amps since I didn't know exact motor info.

Just to touch on that again... but for another issue, weight. If you go with lower MAH batteries you want the higher C rating and the bigger MAH batteries you want something closer to the lower C rating... All of this is to help keep your battery weight down but still be able to provide the amperage you need for the motor you actually have.

Remember it is always a compromise... a smaller lighter battery increases flight performance but decreases the flight time... and just the reverse happens with bigger batteries.

RandyDSok

Then you will have a bit of research to do since just guessing it may result in poor performance or burning up the motor.

RandyDSok

Cool.. now you should be able to lookup/search for just about any info you need...

If you are correct... that is a 6S 50a max motor... determining what MAH is best is only dependant on finding out what amount of weight it needs in the battery tray to achieve a good CG after you have all of the other parts assembled ( servos, rx, gyro canopy etc ). If you can find a PDF manual for the heli, that would be a good place to start.

Top Bottom