Prop Ball link sizing questions

I have a .46 size Decathlon project going too. (yes, please add me to the taildragger club :smile:) I am powering it with an older Saito 65 but my question is to do with ball links. I always use a Z bend at the servo and a clevis on the flight surface. After working with Heli ball links, a thought occurred to me, I could just use a Heli ball link and steel ball. That seems like that would be a better linkage set up for a few reasons.. so I am trying to match up what Align ball links would thread onto a 2-56 rod. I am thinking I could use the 450 links even though I might have to tap them. Any thoughts as to what links would work on 2-56 rods? I know the Align links are metric but I can never figure out the exact sizing for the conversion. I use Heli Direct but the specs and descriptions leave a lot to be desired. Are there any heli's that use standard measurements, maybe Blade?

Tony

Staff member
Hey Bill, all you have to do is go into your userCP by clicking on Settings at the far top of the screen adn you can add yourself to teh tail draggers club.

And IMO, stick with the EZ links and Z bends in a plane. There is more force put on these linkages than in a helicopter in most cases. The control surfaces are larger and require more torque to move them in flight. I have a 68" Decathlon that I'm still trying to get repaired and that elevator and rudder are pretty large.

Hey Bill, all you have to do is go into your userCP by clicking on Settings at the far top of the screen adn you can add yourself to teh tail draggers club.

And IMO, stick with the EZ links and Z bends in a plane. There is more force put on these linkages than in a helicopter in most cases. The control surfaces are larger and require more torque to move them in flight. I have a 68" Decathlon that I'm still trying to get repaired and that elevator and rudder are pretty large.

After giving this some more thought I think you are right. I am just going to go with what works and not over think things. The Decathlon is one of my favorites. Mine is the Phoenix models. It was set up for a OS .46 2 stroke but nothing against 2 strokes, I just like the sound of a 4 stroke, so I had an older Saito 65 doing nothing. I like to pattern fly so that should do fine and I am not ready to give up my nitro 4 strokes just yet. What are you powering yours with?

RandyDSok

There are no issues seen on larger planes using a good quality ball link... I've seen them used on 90"+ 3D planes. What I am starting to see is them using dual horns though.

In fact... let me link to 3DHobbyShop's 84" Bigfoot build manual if you want to see how they are setting them up http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/assets/images/3DH-84BIGFOOT/Manual/3DH-84Bigfoot-MANUAL.pdf

And just for the fun of it because they've got some flight vids and other info... here is the link to their sales page for that plane http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/84-Bigfoot--Red_p_16305.html

Tony

Staff member
After giving this some more thought I think you are right. I am just going to go with what works and not over think things. The Decathlon is one of my favorites. Mine is the Phoenix models. It was set up for a OS .46 2 stroke but nothing against 2 strokes, I just like the sound of a 4 stroke, so I had an older Saito 65 doing nothing. I like to pattern fly so that should do fine and I am not ready to give up my nitro 4 strokes just yet. What are you powering yours with?

Mine, I have no idea who made it. It's a 68" wing and I believe I have a Saito .72 4 stroke in it. I have not really worked on it much to tell the truth. I need to get it down and run a full tank of fuel through it just to make sure it's going to work. I need to do the same thing with my F4U as well. That one has a .61 OS Max 2 stroke in it. And I'm pretty sure I did the second start on that engine. It's pretty much brand new!

Top Bottom