General Balde 270 CFX Repair

bigone5500

I decided to start a separate thread with this 270. This thing has lots of problems. So the first thing I have done is replace the three screws for the tail boom clamp. I'm in the process of replacing the two damaged servo cases and control arm that is cracked. I'm going to remove every screw afterwards and apply thread locker to all metal to metal joints. So far I haven't had to order any parts but I feel it's going to happen.

Geena

Staff member
Look at it this way. Sure, it might cost a little money for parts orders, but once you get it gone over and put back together, You`ll basically have a brand new helicopter. It`s better to tear it apart and make it right, than to have a crash due to a worn or broken part that you missed. Keep us posted on the progress, and your findings. :)

bigone5500

Sure thing Geena. There is a little quirk it has now that when I power it up the tail servo chatters and the tail blades vibrate rapidly. I can gently touch one of the fins and it stops.

Any ideas?

Geena

Staff member
Sure thing Geena. There is a little quirk it has now that when I power it up the tail servo chatters and the tail blades vibrate rapidly. I can gently touch one of the fins and it stops.

Any ideas?
The tail servo chatters when you spool it up? That`s a new one. Do you have another tail servo that you can try on it? It sounds like a bad pot, or something in the servo. If you have another servo, install it and see what it does. If it does that with a different servo, it could be a rudder gain related issue.

As a matter of fact, it might be that the tail dynamic ( 3rd dial on the 7200 from the setup button side) is too high on the AR7200BX. Generally, the tail is good with the dial set to 6-12 o`clock position. If it`s set too high, it can definitely cause the rudder to do that. I would check that first, before taking the servo off.

If that doesn`t fix it, then go head and try another servo. Bad thrust bearings in the tail rotor can cause tail buzzing or wagging too, but your issue seems to be in the FBL unit, or the servo.

bigone5500

The tail servo chatters when you spool it up? That`s a new one. Do you have another tail servo that you can try on it? It sounds like a bad pot, or something in the servo. If you have another servo, install it and see what it does. If it does that with a different servo, it could be a rudder gain related issue.

As a matter of fact, it might be that the tail dynamic ( 3rd dial on the 7200 from the setup button side) is too high on the AR7200BX. Generally, the tail is good with the dial set to 6-12 o`clock position. If it`s set too high, it can definitely cause the rudder to do that. I would check that first, before taking the servo off.

If that doesn`t fix it, then go head and try another servo. Bad thrust bearings in the tail rotor can cause tail buzzing or wagging too, but your issue seems to be in the FBL unit, or the servo.
The chatter happens when powering the heli, no spooling up. I'll try to post a video.

Geena

Staff member
Are the microheli skids worth the money?

It kinda depends. If you like them, and like the way they look on the helicopter.... Yes, probably. But if you have a tendency to have hard landings, or crashes that break the gear, then I would say stick with the stock landing gear. Also, the struts on those are metal, and won`t give like the plastic landing gear will. Which can transfer the energy of a crash somewhere else... like the frames. I do like the way the microheli gear looks though.

bigone5500

Ok. So I have the swash leveled through menu G and will install the head and attempt to get it right. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Geena

Staff member
Ok. So I have the swash leveled through menu G and will install the head and attempt to get it right. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Once you`ve got the servos centered and 90 degrees to the links...and the swash plate is level. Stay in menu G, and install the head. Once the head is installed and tight, adjust each blade grip link until you get zero pitch. After you get both blade grips set to zero pitch you can move on to the rest of the setup. When you get to menu J, it`s very important for the status light to be blue when you set the 6 degrees of cyclic pitch. If it`s not blue at 6 degrees, you`re going to have to go back to menu G and make sure you have every thing right there.

Tony

Staff member
That pesky blue light... I had one helicopter that just flat would NOT give a blue light. I fought that thing for a long time before I gave up and put a 3GX on it I think lol.

Geena

Staff member
I have 2 AR7200BX and 1 AR7300BX and I must be one of the lucky ones to get the blue light special every time:shocked:
I was always able to get the blue light at 6° too. It’s all about proper setup. You absolutely have to make sure that everything you do in menu G, is done properly. If you do that you should get the blue light every time. Will it still work and fly if you don’t get the blue light? Absolutely it will. But it’s not going to be working as well as it could be.

Geena

Staff member
I don't think it really matters...it all comes from China anyway! :banghead:
I had never even heard of them, until you posted the link. I can`t really get anything from online retailers, other than tools or lubricants and stuff like that. But this looks like a legit site, and they are based in Utah.

bigone5500

I tried a little more setup with this heli tonight but I don't really think I can get anywhere accurate without a new set of skids. The heli sits off kilter and is affecting the angle gauge. So now it will be next week before any more work can be done.

Geena

Staff member
I tried a little more setup with this heli tonight but I don't really think I can get anywhere accurate without a new set of skids. The heli sits off kilter and is affecting the angle gauge. So now it will be next week before any more work can be done.
Definitely wait until you get it on solid skids. You`ll never get a good setup with it leaning like that.

Top Bottom