Quad Balancers Need info or help

Karubah

Was not too sure where to put this question so hope I'm in the right spot. I am on the lookout for a new balancer preferably magnetic to balance carbon fiber quad blades. It must be able to take at least an 11 in blade vertically. The balance shaft must be dead straight and the knurled nuts true to the threaded centre hole. In other words a quality balancer.

The blades that I am trying to balance only weight between 10 and 11 grams so what ever you put them on must be well balanced to start with.

Please let me know what you are using and if you think it will do the job for my props. All suggestions welcome.

Tony

Staff member
moved to the quad section.

I don't think you will find a balancer that will allow an 11" prop to spin all the way around.

Karubah

I thought that as well. I see you moved this to the quad section I wasn't too sure where to put it as the balancer covers all forms of flying. I think i will have to make my own, I wish I still had my lathe to make the tapered nuts.

Tony

Staff member
Since this is for your quad, I moved it here. If it was for a plane, I would have put it in that section in the beginners help section.

When balancing a prop on these magnetic balancers, just sand the blade that is falling. You should be able to get the prop to stay in any position you put it in. No real need for it to spin all the way around.

Karubah

The thing is that from all the info I can get on balancing props for quads is that you have to balance the hub as well as the blades on the prop. To do this they have to be vertical. Depending on which way they fall it tells you which side of the hub is heavy. Does this make sense?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
That's the Dubro true spin. I have this ballencer myself. Use it for the f7f project! I ballence my qav 500 10/4.5' 5 and 6 props In the middle of it. It works great? And yes you need to ballence the hubs too. But if you buy quality props like graupners or exors you won't have much to ballence! It also is a great ballencer for Rc boat props! And you talk about a small light weight prop!

Stambo

I use the laser method, that way you balance everything together including the motors.
If you get the laser dot nice and smooth you know there are no vibrations getting through to the quad.

I have a balancer but I don't use it any more because what seemed to be perfect on the balancer still sometimes gave me vibrations on the quad. This is my little tut on doing the blades on a v949 but I use the same method with 450 quad as well.

Obviously you are spinning a larger, and more dangerous blade so care needs to be taken.
I use tape because it is removable.
It takes a bit to get it right but the more you do, the better you get.

I have started taking more notice of the shape of the laser dot to see if it actually means anything but as yet results are inconclusive.

Balance V949 Blades with a Laser - YouTube

Karubah

Great vid. I'll have to try that method. I have been using a vibe app on the I ph. It has helped a bit but if I can balance the blades first and then final tune on the quad I think I might have better luck getting rid of the jello. That's why I need a decent balancer, mine is a long way out of balance before putting a prop on.

I just pressed the button on a Dubro balancer so that should arrive next week sometime.

Tony

Staff member
Good deal, let us know how it works. As you saw in the picture, this will allow you to do what you wanted, which is allow a prop to spin all the way around.

Stambo

Yeah I tried the app on my Ipad but but the laser method works better.
It also makes up for any slight discrepancies in your mounting hardware that a balancer won't.

I just got a servo tester the other day so now it will be even easier to do.

If you can get the laser close as possible to dead still at flight RPMs your video should be rock steady.

I might make a jig of sorts with a stretchy to hold the quad down, safety first and all that. :)
I have caught myself with a blade doing this and it hurts like hell.

Karubah

I use a magnetic balancer that will take 11" props with no problem.

What sort is it or did you make it yourself? I did look at the top flite ones but you can't get them in Aus and with the freight from the Us it worked out at over $50 landed here. I think I will still make my own magnetic balancer down the track.

Top Bottom