Chargers Balance Charger Never Completing Charge

Tony

Staff member
There is another thread on this issue where a balance charger (in that case, it was a 4010 duo iCharger, very good charger) never actually finishes a charging cycle. Well today, I am charging my 3s 1800mah battery that I use on my goggles. It was pretty dead and my goggles were giving me a warning that it was low, so it is time.

I plugged it into my OCDAY DP6 which is a good charger, but not as good as the Duo above. As you can see in the pictures below, this charger has been going for almost 4 hours and it just flat will not complete the charge. It will show the cells go up to 4.2 but then once it stops charging them, it will fall down to 4.1 where it starts charging again. I have seem it fall all the way to 3.9.

That is when I noticed the IR or Internal Resistance of the pack. Yes, every cell is 120mΩ, but I think that is as high as my charger can read. I have not put this pack on my iCharger yet though to see if it is higher. But I'm thinking a battery with a very high IR may never be able to be Balance Charged to completion. This is just a theory and I welcome discussion on the topic. This is the first time this pack has hung on me. Hell this is the first time ANY pack has hung like this on me..

My question to @Hungomez, what is the IR of the pack that you are trying to charge? And is it happening with more than one pack?

Here are two images, both showing the time of the main screen and the balance screen.

IMG_0866.JPG IMG_0867.JPG

Tony

Staff member
I know all 3 of those cells are showing 4.2 volts, but here is a picture a little later. It bounces and will not complete. Very interesting.

IMG_0869.JPG

Smoggie

Tony, very high and uneven IR will for sure play havoc with a charger's ability to balance. @Hungomez says his batteries were new so i discounted high IR.

Tony

Staff member
Ah, I overlooked him saying they were new. I did hook it up to my iCharger and read the IR without being charged, and the image is below. Not as high as the DP6 is showing. Probably another reason they quit selling these things lol.

IMG_0870.JPG IMG_0871.JPG

Smoggie

Those IR readings are still very high but probably ok for low power application like goggles.

Top Bottom