250 Bad vibes

Boogs

After 10 flights my Blade 300 X has developed a vibration. I pulled the (new/stock) motor, cleaned up the shaft with rubbing alcohol and did the red loctite routine. Replaced the main bearings with Boca's and installed the Lynx frame stiffener. And just for good measure I took the tail blade grips apart, cleaned and put in fresh grease. Cleaned the tail shaft and lubed with Dry Fluid, same on the new main shaft, new swash plate.
Now just waiting until tomorrow to see if the vibration is gone. If not, I might use it to sight in my 7mm Weatherby Magnum :jk:

Jimbo

That is a bummer Rick. I had the same problem with my Trex 250 and fixed it, by tossing it in a box to be forgotten forever.

Jim

Geena

Staff member
If the vibration is still there, and you are sure none of the shafts are bent. Next thing to check are the head dampers. worn dampers, or dampers that are too hard can cause vibrations.

Boogs

If the vibration is still there, and you are sure none of the shafts are bent. Next thing to check are the head dampers. worn dampers, or dampers that are too hard can cause vibrations.
:poidh: or Video would be even better.

Of target practice or the vibration? Can't do either, problem solved.

That is a bummer Rick. I had the same problem with my Trex 250 and fixed it, by tossing it in a box to be forgotten forever.

That was on the list too.

Jim

With only 10 flights, no mishaps and all new parts I never even thought about a bent shaft or worn dampers. The main bearing were sketchy so a new main shaft and bearings, Loctite for the motor, a fresh top end and the frame stiffener has solved the problem. I'm pretty sure it was the motor,the shaft had wear at the bearing. The Loctite is a bandage so a new Scorpion 2213-14 is on the way.

Boogs

So after another 10 or so flights the vibration came back. I didn't even tear apart the motor, just removed it and made clearance for the Scorpion. It's just a bit wider than the stock motor so I cut the frame above the motor mounts so it wouldn't touch. After two test flights, I wonder why I didn't do this in the first place. I used the Scorpion 2208-28, and Hobbywing Sky Walker 30a ESC. The motor, ESC and batteries are cooler after flight. Better power, quieter and it runs cooler, win win.
DSCN2899.JPG

Geena

Staff member
That`s why all of my electric helicopters have Scorpion motors. Georges has motors down to an art. Glad you got it sorted, and can get back to enjoying your helicopter. :)

Boogs

That`s why all of my electric helicopters have Scorpion motors. Georges has motors down to an art. Glad you got it sorted, and can get back to enjoying your helicopter. :)

Yes, fine motors! There's a noticeable difference in performance. Another plus, after a four minute flight the old motor pulled the battery down to 3.8v per cell, and the new one, same 4 minutes has the battery reading 3.86v per cell. Plenty left in the tank. I think I'll set the timer for 4.5 and see where I'm at.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I was going to get a Scorpion motor back when I was looking for a motor for my Gaui X3. I've heard that the motor run hot. So I ended up with the Xnova motor instead. Supposedly there motors run cooler, quieter and has a little more punch for the buck. Here say! I'm glad you got rid of your tail shake, people were starting to talk, Lol

Tony

Staff member
That is odd you saying that it is running cooler. Those are normal to run much hotter than others because of the amount of power they make. Of course, if the motor is larger than what it needs to be, it doesn't have to work as hard. No matter, glad you got it sorted.

Boogs

I was going to get a Scorpion motor back when I was looking for a motor for my Gaui X3. I've heard that the motor run hot. So I ended up with the Xnova motor instead. Supposedly there motors run cooler, quieter and has a little more punch for the buck. Here say! I'm glad you got rid of your tail shake, people were starting to talk, Lol
The XNova is a sweet motor! So, what were they saying...never mind I don't want to know lol.

That is odd you saying that it is running cooler. Those are normal to run much hotter than others because of the amount of power they make. Of course, if the motor is larger than what it needs to be, it doesn't have to work as hard. No matter, glad you got it sorted.
I was pleasantly surprised too. I figured it would be about the same or a bit warmer. Here's what I think, the stock motor was spinning the shaft in the bearings, adding heat and causing the motor to use more current whereas the new motor is running free of parasitic drag.

Top Bottom