bad news

my main computer is now toast.changed the processor and now it is haveing a hard time to power up or stay powered up.
Its time i guess for a new computer. I have had the computer for over 6 years. I'am now down to the laptop. yet today i just bought a new wireless trackball mouse

Tony

Staff member
6 years is pretty good for a computer. Could be something as little as a memory stick that has went bad, to the PSU bad, mobo bad or the HDD bad. You could always head over to Newegg.com and just build you a computer. That is what I did.

its not just that there has been a prob playing online games anyways.Going to buy a baming system that has the I5 procesor,1 tb hdd etc,etc. the problem is that that comp will power up for a min then shut it down.It doesnt stay powered up long enough to get into the cmos to do changes

murankar

Staff member
If it's failing that early I would think 3 things corrupt cmos or bad/weak psu or bad memory. The last is easiest to check, if it's just one stick move it around to all the slots and see if it boots each time.

Now if you have more than one just do the same thing with each stick and see if that gives a good boot. If so then you know it's either memory or the memory slot itself. You will know once you find a combination that works, that's if it is a memory issue. If nothing positive comes of this then it's one of the other issues.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

it is not the psu. the reason that i know that is i had it plugged in in the kitchen and it ran, but when i brought it to the main power source that i have used sine i have moved in to this apartment is where the power thing fails. i have changed the psu from the 500 watt to the standard 230 watt and the same thing aplies. i have had it going twice . got into one of my online games and with two minutes later the system shut down. most of the time it doesnt stay on long enough to be able to get into the cmos to do some changing

Tony

Staff member
You keep saying CMOS which is Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor which is a very small memory file that stores BIOS settings. Are you sure you don't mean BIOS (Basic Input Output System)?

murankar

Staff member
Ok if you tried both powerr supplies with the same results, this is what i would do, then i would check the memory.

Once you power the pc on the bios loads to memory then the pc will post. Once post is complete then the boot loader is activated and controle is handed off to the boot loader. Next the boot loader boots the O.S. and gives controle to the O.S. if my memory is correct then thats the order things should happen.

With that said check memory next.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
What he stated above is, pull all but one memory stick out and stick it in teh first slot and try to turn the computer on. If it fails, try a different slot and do it again. Do this for every slot. Then, do the same thing for the other sticks of memory. If every stick and every slot checks out, that brings us down to mobo, CPU or HDD.

murankar

Staff member
One way to check the hard drive is to unplug it frm the mobo and boot the pc. If the drive is causing this then the pc should boot far enough to allow access to the bios.

When you unplug the hdd, unplug the cdrom also. Those two things are not essential to get into the bios. Plus it gives a chance to rule that out too.

For the cpu, well only way to check is to replace the chip with a new one. Not cost effective.

Tony

Staff member
You can run a Prime95 test on the CPU. If you get a BSOD, then you know there is something wrong with it. Of course this is with a stock clock, not OC'd.

good news, ... I found out what the problem was....The motherboard. The p2 connector that connects the power supply to the board was fine, but the other 4 slot connector that you must also connect to the board for power was the problem.
Luckly i had a spare board kicking around and that was what the problem . on the old board i would put in the long part of the power suppy connector to the board and it stayed powered up, but when i put on the 4 slot power connector , that when it would power down. with the new board in all i need now is a new heatsink fan combo

So in the end it was the board that finnaly went. it worked for 6-8 years running 16 hours a day. it finnaly said i quit. i will be picking up the heat sink/fan tomorrow

so am i so all i need now is the heat sink/fan combo and new type ram. unfortunately my ram from the bad board doesnt work with the new board

Tony

Staff member
I'm guessing you are going from DDR2 to DDR3? What about the CPU? If they are the same socket (ie. LGA775, LGA1155), then you can just swap the CPU and the cooling fan. Unless one is AMD and the other is Intel that is lol.

I will be using the same processor. AAMD 3.2 GHZ socket 775, the new ram that i will be picking up will be DDR2 400, pc2700. The heatsink/fan combo, i would keep, but one of the legs that hold to the board have broken so i have to get a new one, when i get some more $$$$$. it is all SATA of course

Top Bottom