Bad Day At The Airport

Geena

Staff member
Today, we had a crash at the airport where I work. It happened just before 10:00, when an Auto Gyro was performing power off landings, and ended up facing down wind... which stalled the main rotor.

He tried to put full power to the engine , but it was too late. The rotors had stopped, and he was coming down. He went in pretty hard on the taxiway, which caused the gyro to bounce and roll over on its left side.

The pilot climbed out, and was walking around when rescue got here, but was transported to the hospital to be checked. The auto gyro, was not so lucky. It was a total loss, and going by the damage,I don`t know how the pilot walked away from it. NTSB, FAA, and the local sheriff`s office were investigating the incident until about 15:00.

Tony

Staff member
Damn, usually when you lose the main rotor on a gyro, with any kind of altitude, things don't end well for the pilot. It's awesome that he walked away from that!

Geena

Staff member
Thankfully, he was only about 20 feet up, and he came down flat on the landing gear...not nose down. It could have been so much worse than it was.

Tony

Staff member
Holy crap, clicked on the wrong thread hahaha. My bad. You can delete all of these if you wish.

Tony

Staff member
Just one of those things. I have so many tabs open on my lappy that I read Jared's posts, then read yours, clicked back, and clicked on the wrong thread when the simple green idea popped into my head lmao. Time for some sleep lmao.

Top Bottom