Batteries Bad cell count!

cabbie

Trying to charge a Turnigy 5000mah 6s 40c lipo but my PL8 keeps saying bad cell count, what can I do to correct this?

Tony

Staff member
This is going to sound like a condescending question, but are you sure you are set to 6 cells? What is the overall voltage of the pack?

pvolcko

Did it used to work? First time using the PL8? What if you select monitor mode instead of charge? What cell voltages display and what are they?

Graham Lawrie

Is the battery dead? No charge? If yes I have a recovery method that has worked for me on two occasions when I ran two separate batteries too low to charge:)

cabbie

Is the battery dead? No charge? If yes I have a recovery method that has worked for me on two occasions when I ran two separate batteries too low to charge:)

It's gone to 4% :( don't know how cause the other pack that was with it in the trex 700 is still on 25%!

- - - Updated - - -

These 2 lipos I got from an online outlet last week, when they arrived they had badly soldered bullet connectors on ( not Turnigy items! ) I emailed the store about the one lipo getting very hot when charging with the other four and this is his reply

if you are using one board to charge all 6 lipos at bonce this is not good for high amp age lipos
you find you have a low resistance lipo and it will not charge up and you will end up boiling the chemicals in side the lipo .
so please send both the lipo back and we will refund you payment as 6 cell 40 c rated lipos need to be charged
at 3 amp plus and charged separately not with other lipo .
we will not be able to guarantee the lipos if you charge them this way.

this is the return address for both lipo.

Astra main unit
rapid rc
unit 4
Invicta business centre
Bredgar road
Gillingham
Kent
me8 6pg.

please do not charge the lipos this way and send both lipos back for a refund all you will do is one lipo will be full charged and the others will not be and the charge will keep on charging until the all the lipos are charged and you will end up with a lipo getting very hot and it will go up in smoke
so please send the lipos back to us for a refund asap be for you hurt you self.
regards justin

Lee

What is he talking about ?????
5000mah packs charging at 1C would be 5amps not 3
And as far as charging in parallel. We all do it, with no issues.
I think it was just that this lipo was dead on arrival.
At least he is replacing them for you.
Once you get the new ones. Check each of them to see what the voltage is.
Also check the IR to see all the packs are equal.
On charging in parallel
Make sure that the packs are at a similar voltage. If they are more than a few hundredths apart in voltage, charge then separately.

cabbie

Ok from now on I'm only going to charge the 2 lipo's joined for flight packs in the 600 and 700, some of the flight packs are way different in voltage after use, I just charge 4x flight pack's at 3amps (8 3.300 6S 40c lipo's) in 2.5 hours, I'm doing the same for the Trex 700 5000mAh lipos.

Top Bottom