600 Backup Guard

Tony

Staff member
1) just plug it into your Batt port on your Rx or any empty port
2) never heard of it until now.

It's a decent idea, but remember one thing. The instant that flybarless gyro loses power, it has to reinitialize. This can take from 1-10 seconds. IMO, this is more for a Flybar bird.

Bruno

I am interested with a safe guard in the event the CC BEC PRO fails.
Seems if this happens all the electronics will fry.
Any recommendations?

Tony

Staff member
If it shorts out the BEC with the battery, there is no saving it, not even this one will do that. This item is to counter a failure, not an over volt. About the only thing you can do is 1, get a BEC that you KNOW is not going to fail, and 2, if it does fail on you, don't look because it's going to crash, hard...

4Pete2Fly

I think that it be would better to just keep your RX Battery in full charge after every 2 flights rather than taking a chance on another monitoring devise to bail you out. I had a low level crash for this very reason because I did not pay attention on the amount of flights. Just a boom that time, but could be much bigger expense.

Pete :)

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
If it shorts out the BEC with the battery, there is no saving it, not even this one will do that. This item is to counter a failure, not an over volt. About the only thing you can do is 1, get a BEC that you KNOW is not going to fail, and 2, if it does fail on you, don't look because it's going to crash, hard...

LMAO! "and 2, if it does fail on you, don't look because it's going to crash, hard "..Sorry!:warning:

Bruno

Is the Scorpion backup guard a practical alternative to the function of an independent Rx battery?

- - - Updated - - -

Seems the Scorpion backup guard had a built in BEC. Will this prevent fried electronics if my main BEC fails?

If not. It seems the best/only electronic protection is to install an independent receiver /servo battery, correct? I have read reference to this throughout my thread surfing. Are you able to direct me to a reliable resource with independent receiver/servo battery installation Specs./directions? I would hate to fry my electronics while installing a system intended to prevent frying the electronics.....LMAO (NOT REALY).

Last edited:

4Pete2Fly

Bruno,

I just looked at my 550 DFC and really not a lot of room to put other components beyond what is already there. The stock ESC is the Talon 90 and I just run a conservative flight timer on the transmitter.

If you want to have external receiver power you could get the Align RCE-B6X Voltage Regular (K10382A) powered by a 7.4V 1900mAh battery. This can be plugged into a spare channel if running a receiver or the battery port of the 3GX if running satellites.

NOTE depending on which ESC you have (read the booklet that came with it) you might have to cut the red wire to avoid conflict.

You will probably have to stack your receiver battery on top of your main battery, this may change your COG, (nose heavy).

Pete

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing (instead of the above) you can buy the TM1000 which I have on mine and set the alarm for your main battery supply, plan B.

Pete

Tony

Staff member
You can get a 1900mah LiFe battery and plug it straight into the Rx if you wish. This is what I had on the RCH before getting the Align 2in1. Just make sure your electronics can handle the 6.6volts+

murankar

Staff member
1) just plug it into your Batt port on your Rx or any empty port
2) never heard of it until now.

It's a decent idea, but remember one thing. The instant that flybarless gyro loses power, it has to reinitialize. This can take from 1-10 seconds. IMO, this is more for a Flybar bird.

I know it can be dangerous to fly without a controller per say but that's the only way to know when the back up guard kicks in.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Scorpion backup guard is a very very good product. ESP running a high voltage setup or running gassers. Except for that, it's peace of mind

I don't have one, but my friends at the field swear by it.

One guy running it on a gasser realized that scorpion had saved his life, as when he put it on charge to check, after a few flights, found out he had used some of it.. The battery he was using for rx pack was not near enough for the flight times

IF you had HV servos all around, scorpion backup guard makes sense also. You don't wanna be without rx control.

I don't use it as I usually count flights between rx charges and if in doubt, charge the heli before I fly. My 600 nitro has the align 3in1 which displays led status on my rx pack.

My 700 has a LiFe 3700mah pack (overkill). So I never run out.

Warp 360 runs straight from power packs.

So really it's your choice... (It's like (or what should be) health insurance) haha

pvolcko

Government subsidized Backup Guards for everyone (and extra taxes on those with HV setups, rich bastards)! :) Sorry, couldn't resist. Bad Paul! Bad! [slaps hands, stands in corner]<slaps hands,="" stands="" in="" corner=""></slaps>

Serious response: My issue with this device is you have to charge it separately and you need to turn it on before the flight. That being the case, in my mind, this is only really useful as a backup power supply in case the BEC or flight pack quits entirely during flight. BECs can crap out on people, but I don' know if that really happens too much these days. I know it was an issue when they first started being used. Rx packs don't generally die in flight unless you forget to charge them, but again, you have to remember to charge and turn on this device too, so might as well be careful about charging the flight pack. Maybe put a lipo level buzzer on there or use telemetry to monitor and alarm on low Rx levels. Brownouts... maybe, but I would hope such a potential was detected on the bench with a good stress test.

I'm not seeing that this is really that useful of a device.

And with that sentence I'm destined, now, to crash my biggest or most expensive heli in a situation this device would have saved my butt. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom