Chargers B6AC charger with burnt trace. Need New Charger Suggestions!

Tony

Staff member
Well this sucks. I saw some smoke come out of my charger the other day and I found the cause. Cell 1 would drop to 0 then cell 2 would double in voltage causing the charger to shut down. The oicture below shows the damage. Anyone have a suggestion for a new charger?...

20130628_235125.jpg

20130628_235125.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Re: B6AC charger with burnt trace.

And here is the error. Dammit I cant afford another charger right now...

1372483789668.jpg

1372483789668.jpg

Tony

Staff member

Well there seems to be something wrong with the balance port. I plugged the 3s battery into the 6s port and the voltage on cell #1 is not dropping to 0 and cell #2 is not doubling. So far anyway. Looks like there is something bad wrong with the 3s balance port.

Either way, I'm going to need a charger very soon. I'm looking at some 400w chargers on hobbyking. But I'm hoping that one of you guys have an opinion on what charger to get. I have multiple power supplies that I can use to power it, so that is not an issue, although I would like to have one with a built in power supply. But if not, I can always make my own.

Post up your suggestions!

Westy

LEGEND
I have got the Mega 400V2 .... it is pretty good for what you pay. Fans are noisy as though (CAN)...... And for some reason it will not discharge at 5.0amps like it says..... but After I calibrated it it has been pretty good. I have heard of a guy complaining that it has toasted 1 of his batteries on storage as the voltage went down below the so called bottom limit the charger was supposed to drop down to.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I ran a new trace for connection 2, which is actually cell #1. The pin on the far left in the pictures above is the negative and is what you saw that was burnt up. However, that next pin over, the trace is on the OTHER side of the board, under the white balance port box, and I can't get to it. So I just ran a wire from that pin to the main board where it's supposed to go, and so far so good. But, I still want antoher charger. Don't want to trust this one.

I set this charger on 5 amps to charge my 2200's, and it only goes to 4.2 amps, or a max of 50 watts that this charger is rated at. Not going to cut it lol. NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!

Tony

Staff member

The 400v2 is one that I was looking at. There is another one just like it, but is dual 200w chargers in one. so you can charge two batteries at once. I'm looking to the future though when I have 6s packs and need to charge upwards of 6 amps for 1c. That is 133 watts by it's self. And if you charge over 1c, then you are going to need to double that number. So, the 400 would work, but "would work" is not what I'm all about. Bigger and better hahahaha. I will look into that 400v2 though and give it some thought.

Westy

LEGEND

Tony .... Looking at your rewire .... I think you might of mucked up the routing of your wiring ..... I would cut out the trace completely as it looks like it is shorting on some of those other contacts....

This is how I would have daisy chained it to get it to work ... give it a go..... you never know ... you might be able to resurrect it yet!

tonys charger.jpg

tonys charger.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Take a look at post #2, that is how I wired it. But, with this stuff being so small, and the wire not being as small, I had to run it in two different areas. So I ran it from the right to the left, then the top to the bottom, If you look at the trace on the left side, the top left and bottom left has a trace that runs through it connecting them together. I just ran one to the top left (top right one) then the center port to the bottom left one. On the other pin that is just to the right of the top center negative, I ran that straight down to the contacts that you see at the very bottom of that picture. And I did remove the old trace as yes, it can and will short out against the other posts.

Not mucked up at all, just looks a little confusing lmao.

Westy

LEGEND
confused the snot out of me hahahha something must have shorted out to heat that trace up like that ..... like a regulator or something!

Tony

Staff member
I pulled the banana plugs out of the charger, well, the negative, and it touched the case. The balance plug was still plugged in. So the power went through the ground pins (the trace you see burnt) and the first cell. There is damage to other cells as well, just not as bad.

I can assure you, even though it looks like a mess, the wires I added are doing the same thing as the traces did. They just don't look as good lmao.

Lee

It was a toss up between the PL6 and the Icharger 306B. I'm not sure

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Damn, that US based stuff has a decent price tag lmao. And I'm not talking decent "good" either lmao. But, you get what you pay for. May have to buy the wife some flowers, or a car to get that one...

Westy

LEGEND
It was a toss up between the PL6 and the Icharger 306B. I'm not sure

If it were my ... I would spend the extra 15 bucks for the PL6 ... input voltage is 10V to 32V .... so if you really want to get the max out of it .... you can ... or you can run with the PSU you have got and wait till the time is right for your PSU upgrade to unleash the power beast within!

Tony

Staff member
All he would have to do is double up his PSU's in series, and BOOM, double the volts.

Top Bottom