Sailplanes Attend a competition!

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
The world of radio controlled flying is always more fun with good company. In my experience I have always belonged to an AMA chartered club. As much as I love flying with the guys there, only one other member flies gliders. Yesterday the two of us went to a thermal duration contest in Warrenton, VA sponsored by the Capital Area Soaring Association (CASA). This time we just went to watch and find out more about the events held in this area. This event was held on a farmer's land and upon arriving we noticed just how many people were flying that day. Even though we didn't compete, we met new people with the same interests. In the sailplane world it is incredibly important to learn from others; it's not easy to improve on one's own. I certainly learned a lot from this experience and even got the opportunity to time for one of the CDs. The competition was very well organized and there were pilots of all skill levels.

I would encourage everyone to get out to a competition, you will learn a lot and have a greater appreciation for the sport. Get involved, have fun!

Top Bottom