250 At Last!!! A 250 Clone

rotary174

After spending some time this morning watching and listening to Tony's words of wisdom....A Razor 450....the tail setup portion....I got my HK-250 ready for it's maiden. I couldn't do a great job with dressing down the wiring because I'm using training gear....and it will have to be rewired after I can ensure a good landing with the gear off. The heat here in Vegas is such that I can only fly at daybreak....and no wind. The temp this weekend will be 105+ in the shade...not good for LIPO's or ancient dogs like me. I got to finally clear my bench and start organizing stuff for my 450 build (HK-450 / orange / DX6i). Also got my 9X V2 and it is awesome. Shooting for light skids at 6 AM this Saturday. Later. Gary

murankar

Staff member
Finally someone who is hotter than texas. Sorry to hear about the weather. Do you have an indoor area to fly?

Need to find a flying field that has access to indoors and with a 250, its on. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

rotary174

Wow...thanks for all the well wishes guys...I appreciate it. This morning would have been perfect...but unfortunately I was not able to go. However the target day was tomorrow. No indoor space available....will have to go to a non-approved AMA site...and hope nobody is around when I get there. Their are several very large parks available....I'll be there before 6AM. If it's not safe....I just won't fly. Thanks again. Later Gary

rotary174

The Maiden Crash!!!

I was at the field before 5:30 AM. Perfect day, zero wind, 75 degrees. The machine was as ready to go as I could make it. I won't go into details, because the title already let you know the outcome. However, I spent several hours reconstructing the cause of the abrupt end to this flight. 30 seconds into what was a stable hover the tail servo link came off, putting me into a spin. I may have saved it if I had cut the power....but I hesitated a second or two and the main blade struck the asphalt....at that time it took out the linkage rod (links and all) from the blade holder to the fly bar control rod. On the opposite side of the head it took out the entire rod/links that go from the washout base to the washout arm. This had to happen first because the rotor blade came around and hit the tail boom. In order for the boom strike to occur, the blade holder had to be disengaged. The point of impact eliminates the fly bar...which was totally undamaged anyway as was the tail blades and the entire tail assembly. The pitch servo is kaput but the aileron and elevator servos (all metal gear digital HK servos) seem ok. The main gear looks new and no damage to the frame or any other component, however I have a closer inspection planned. The head is suspect and the feathering shaft needs to be inspected for damage as well as other components. So that's about it...a disaster with a learning feature. I learn...I crash....I learn....I crash.....this is great fun. I'm off to check into a hospital for loony old men. More later. Gary

Admiral

Sorry to hear about the crash, I had problems with the ball links my HK250 ended up replacing them all with Align ones.

PeterR

Unfortunately 1 of the problems with the 250's, is that a slight mishap looks like a major crash due to the parts being so small and flimsy, the slightest error and they break or bend and have to be replaced. All the parts on my 250 that have been damaged I replaced with Align parts, although a bit more expensive they do tend to last longer because of better quality. Good luck with the rebuild and next flight.

Top Bottom