Article Section. What Would You Like To See?

Tony

Staff member
The staff and I have been talking, and we need the members opinions on this matter. At the top left of the forum, there is an Articles tab. In that tab (which is also known as /content.php) are all of the articles that have been written. On the left side of that first page are a bunch of pages that you can click into and read the articles. If you read closer, there is a Members Review section where any member over 100 posts (I think) can post a review of a product that they have purchased.

In the last year or so, we have not done a lot with the article section. Mainly due to the lack of time and money to get said new products. But we are hoping to take care of that issue and maybe start using it again.

My question to you all is, what do you want to see in that section? Do you even use that section? I want to know what you think about the content.php section as a whole. Let me know and the staff and I will get started on reviving it so that it can better help other members.

Tony

Staff member
I have added a new page to the first Articles page to try and help people navigate the forum. I'm also going to change the website from defaulting to the forum, to defaulting to the Articles section. Lets see if we can get some more activity in there.

Post up suggestions, I sure need them.

pvolcko

I knew the articles section was there, but didn't realize there were member reviews. Looks like it has been idle for some time now. I guess my thought is, what is the difference between a review and a build thread and/or flight thread?

Tony

Staff member
What's the difference? The way it's structured. There are more ways to get people from the search engines into the articles than there are the forum. You can still post pictures, you can still post vidoes, it's just in a content section rather than the forum where it gets knocked down the list pretty quick with no views.

Slobberdog

Been in there a few times, mainly for the manuals, but did not know there was reviews in there, shows this numpty has not looked in there properly,

Note to myself, must try harder

Tony

Staff member
the thing that I"m seeing is that people are just not seeing what is in there. Be it because it's cluttered, not updated enough or whatever, the issue needs to be resolved. and I'm working on it. Takes lots of time though. Working on the articles section is just about all I have done today.

pvolcko

Could one do a review with a relatively short summary type write up and then link to their build and flight vids for more details?

Tony

Staff member
For the review section in /content.php, I would much rather it be a stand alone article and not linked to anything on the forum. Basically all of the information right there in the article.

murankar

Staff member
I can post a review if it would help. I have a lot to say about my bird. It may take a few days for me to draft something up for your approval prior to posting.

Tony

Staff member
What bird is that? The EXI? Or the Protos?

I think you can create the article and edit it as you go and want to type it out. Might need to test it out. It's been a while.

EyeStation

Personally, I have the "New Posts" bookmarked. I have stumbled across the Article Section on searches, but do not go to that section for news. More a creature of habit and the New Post section seems to satisfy my immediate and limited time and needs.

Derek

I have added a new page to the first Articles page to try and help people navigate the forum. I'm also going to change the website from defaulting to the forum, to defaulting to the Articles section. Lets see if we can get some more activity in there.

Post up suggestions, I sure need them.

Tony!!! I have to say!!! I really like this change!!! It was a great surprise to see the "Articles" page, with what seems to be a new look, come up when I clicked on my RCH bookmark. Very very cool!!!

Tony

Staff member
Derek, it's the same page, I just put a full Static page that kinda helps everyone understand how to navigate the website. There were a lot of people that came here when I had it set to the articles section (when you type in rc-help.com only) and got frustrated that they couldn't find anything. and that is understandable, not everyone knows how a forum is structured. So, I thought I would make a quick post to try and help explain it to the new members/guests. We will see how it goes. Just a few hours and already it's seen over 150 views. Not a lot, but it's more than I expected.

URI, Go ahead and post it. I know I would like to read about that heli.

I knew about that tab, but I've honestly never used it!
I will certainly have a look around, and I might post a review of the apprentice down the track after I've flown it a few times.
As I use the articles tab, if I have feedback on it I will provide, but seems like a great resource that I've been missing/ignoring

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Jonathan. I look forward to reading about it. I will also be posting an article of my "new plane" in there after flying it for a while to gather more info about it.

Ok I just had a look at the articles tab. I was actually thinking I could do a review of the HPI Apache that I have.
It could just be me, but I wasn't sure which button to hit to write up a review. If I needed to push the edit button next to members review, or if there was another one i was meant to push elsewhere.
Or do I write my review elsewhere on the forum and it links it into the articles section?

Tony

Staff member
To write a review, you will click on teh articles tab, then on the Members Review link. On the right side of the page, just above the ad or facebook post, there is a Go button and on the left of it, it should say Article. I will have to check if members have the permission, but it may also say Static Page and somethign else. Not sure. But, click on the Article then click Go.

Sweet thanks for that Tony.
That took me exactly where I wanted to go.
I'll actually wait until I get away from work, and then I'll do up the review. At least then I can add some photos etc to the review. Followed your instructions and took me to the exact place I wanted to go to

murankar

Staff member
URI, Go ahead and post it. I know I would like to read about that heli.

I will start drafting it up and have the wife proof it. My goal is to have it posted by Sunday. I want to ensure I capture the important stuff.

Top Bottom