Sailplanes Art Tech Diamond 2500

I just placed my order for an Art Tech Diamond 2500 through NitroPlanes. I had carefully considered three sailplanes, all trough NitroPlanes, before making my choice, the Masala kit with its 11 1/2 foot wingspan, sorry out of stock,, the Airfield Giant arf with its 2.4 meter wing span, which really didn't look like a traditional sailplane, and of course the Diamond 2500 rtf with its 2.5 meter wingspan. Obviously the Diamond won out. It fit my budget nicely, had a good wingspan and apparent light wing loading, will be easy to assemble, and had the ability to upgrade with flaps. After I get a few flights on her, I intend to replace the TX and RX with a Spectrum DX6i and 6 channel RX. I am also thinking that flaps would be beneficial on this big ol' girl. I am hoping my Diamond gets here sometime in the next 10 days. I will gets some pictures and, if I am lucky, maybe some video.

I wish to thank everyone who helped me with my decision making.

P.S.
I haven't completely written off the Masala and if I had the space to build it, the OLyIII has got me salivating.

Last edited:
Nice work gramps!
Look forward to seeing it up in the air! Not to mention the build process!!
Lets hope it is earlier than 10 days! I think we're all waiting with baited breath to see this beauty

Derek

That's spectacular, granmpa!!! I can't wait to see some pics and video of this plane. I have a scratch build foam board motor glider and I absolutely love it. I am using a "flaperon" setup on my glider and I just love how it floats around with very little effort. Good luck buddy!

If it got get here tomorrow and I would dance in the streets. With our rainy season starting soon here in Oregon, the sooner it arrives the better. A few guys I fly with are becoming inspired to get back into glider piloting. Most of theirs are non powered. One of the more experienced pilots is even starting construction on a tow plane.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the tow plane that eflite has. It looks like a nice bit of kit, they also do the glider to go with it.
Look forward to seeing the build and the videos of the flight!

Lee

Look forward to seeing it. I want to get into gliders next as we have some great hills around here.

The gent that taught me to fly, (Bruce Harlow), tells stories of the days when he did a lot of towing, (upwards of 80 per day). Recently he took to piggybacking smaller gliders. I have seen him do it on several occasions and I tell you I wouldn't want to do that. Any little twitch or movement of the craft in the piggybacked position can become a real handful in a hurry.

- - - Updated - - -

Slope soaring sounds like great fun lee. Unfortunately although western Oregon is full of mountains, they are covered by trees or debris from logging. Our coastline, (100 mile away), on the other hand has many outstanding cliffs were the on shore breezes produces great lift.

Derek

I am so stoked about seeing this new glider, grampa! It really should be a great time!!

Top Bottom