600 Arming Castle Talon 90 ESC

Harford

I have this ESC on a Trex 550E DFC. It has proved to be erratic to arm. Sometimes it will arm without any specific procedure beyond plugging in the battery, other times it will require some input from the collective eg holding collective hard right for a few seconds. There is nothing consistent about the beforementioned. Is there a set procedure I should follow please ?
The heli is a 550 DFC with all standard Align equipment for this particular kit.

Many thanks

Michael

Smoggie

Castle ESC's have a unique process for calibration of the throttle range which needs to be done when you set up the ESC. Here is a video explaining how you do it:

Note that when you do the throttle calibration you need to use a linear 0 -50 -100 throttle curve, but once the calibration is done you can go back to your standard curve.

Harford

Thank you Smoggie. I have watched the video. I originally had The Trx 550 set up on my DX7 (original version). I had problems then arming the ESC but an experienced flier I know locally adjusted the tx sub trim throttle value to L31 and this fixed the problem ie the ESC would arm without difficulty. I now use a DX9 for this heli and have made no throttle subtrim adjustment. Am I right in thinking entering a L throttle value maybe the answer ?

Smoggie

Am I right in thinking entering a L throttle value maybe the answer ?

To get it working properly you need to go through the whole setup process as shown in the video.. It only takes a minute or two once you get the hang of it:

1. Set a straight line throttle curve 0 -50 -100%
  2. Go into servo setup in Tx and reduce throttle upper and lower travel adjust to +40% and -40%
  3. Put throttle stick to full open position and plug in the heli battery (blades off just in case)
  4. Gradually increase the upper throttle travel in Tx until you get the beep (like in video), then go two clicks further
  5. Close throttle stick fully
  6. Gradually increase the lower travel until you get the normal ESC arming tone, then two click further
  7. Power off heli
  8. Re-set Tx throttle curve to whatever you normally fly with

Job done!

Harford

Many thanks Smoggie. I have followed the above procedure and ended up with +112% at high stick and -120% at low stick (after adding the two clicks). Hopefully this sounds right. In any event, it works !

Thank you again for your help.

Michael

Tony

Staff member
I have never really liked how these things are setup lol. Had to do the same on the SE V2 and on the 550. Very strange.

Top Bottom