Projects Arman Wing Trainer ("not so" quick build)

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
You may or may not know the fate of my little Super Cub... It met its demise in some trees as a result of an elevator failure. :black_eyed: It was sad really since it was such a good flyer. Anyway, I scrapped it out. I will be using the parts to complete building a new trainer based on a section of foam board wing that I built as a test a while back.

NOTE: I will NOT be dragging this build out. :nightmare:

The whole deal here is "Quick and Dirty." In other words, it isn't going to win any beauty contests! :onthego:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

Re: Arman Wing Trainer (quick build)

I have bought all the stuff to build and Armin wing, but have been so busy building my quads, its been put aside for a while.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy

I built the tail and attached the booms this evening! I used a couple of practice arrows for the booms. These shafts cost me $4.00 each! Much cheaper than buying carbon from the LHS. I will build the body next and get it attached. Once it is in place I'll attach the booms to the wing to lock in the COG. So far so good!

I'm calling this one "Drone Clone" since there are already a plethera of them on the net!

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy

With the heat in the shop I've only been able to get a few things done this evening. I may do more later, but here's where it's at for now!

Tony

Staff member

Freaking Hot huh? lmao. As for the caster front wheel, I don't think it's going to work like you are thinking, but it's worth a shot and I hope it works. I just think this thing is going to be all over the field and if you are trying to take off from a runway, I don't think it will end well. But, I hope you prove me wrong. Everything else looks really good though.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy

I had given that some thought actually, after I posted that. I think I'll build a non flying platform to test it, but I was thinking that I could use rubber bands to keep the wheel centered yet allow it to swivel under a side load. I have to work today, but maybe there'll be enough time (daylight) to whip it together to see how it does.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy

I threw together a testbed for the caster idea. It actually could work with a little fine tuning. The wife certainly thought so... :chuckles:

Tony

Staff member

It worked a lot better than I thought it would. I think it would work even better with a DX8 though :wink:

You need to stick the wife into more of your videos lol. That was pretty good.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy

Well, so much for this being a "quick build"!

After a very busy week I'm getting back to this project. I'll let the videos speak for themselves... uh, for me! LOL

Tail Boom Work:

Elevator Details:

Tony

Staff member

Looking good. You might want to put a spar or something of the like on that elevator to keep it from flexing when the air is going over it. Just an idea. Keep up the great work, finish this plane, and get started on the P-51! lol

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy

Oh, I absolutely plan to. I will also be replacing most of the steel in the control rods (within the arrow shafts) with carbon as well. The rudder that will get the single control horn will be getting some needed added stiffening too! Thanks for the compliments! I'm looking forward to the maiden on this one! :drools:

The P-51... I'm saving that project for later. I'm going to have to "retool" my bench a bit before I'm ready to get into that. I need a lot of tools and supplies that I don't have right now, so as the dollars permit I'll get prepared!

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy

I got the rudder control rod installed, and the servos that came with the Super Cub are pleanty to drive them. I worked them HARD and they didn't skip a beat, get warm, or otherwise complain so I'm going with them. They will need to be extended to reach the RX, but that is minor compared to everything else. Right now I am contemplating installing some dampening onto the control rods. They make a heck of a racket if I rattle the tail...

Regarding replacing the control rods with carbon. I weighed the control rods, and then the SC servos. The control rods weigh less. So, I am still ahead weight wise staying with the steel!

Tonight I'll begin putting the fuselage together. I am still drawing up some designs for it, so when I decide I'll begin cutting material. I'll post pics as I go!

SGIS

Tony

Staff member

Put some heat shrink on them in 3 spots, that will make them a little more quiet. putting some of the "loop" velcro on there will work even better.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy

The velcro loop suggestion gives me a killer idea!

I am going to cut a piece of paracord equal to the length of the control rod inside the boom(s), remove the center strands, and insert the paracord casing material over the steel control rod. It's light, strong, and I sure will dampen the noise! I think I can anchor the casing material inside the tube with a drop of thin CA too! I'll update this with the results! Thanks Tony!

Heh, it worked so well I had to get it on video!

Tony

Staff member

Am I the only one that hears "About, Face!" when he moves the rudders? hahaha. I like that parachord idea. Very little resistance and you can use it all the way along the rod. Nice work.

Tony

Staff member

I guess to be accurate, I should have said left or right, but about sounds fine lol.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy

You know, that whole third vert and rudder thing is a result of my testing, and subsequent decision to go ahead and use the castering front LG! I needed it there to catch the propwash for taxiing... It's funny how one decision affects everything else down stream! Besides, you know me by now. If there's a "correct" way to do something, I'll do the exact opposite - and sometimes it works! (no moon shot this time!)

Tony

Staff member

lol. that is the great thing about doing foamie builds. You can do whatever you want just to see if it works. I don't know about you, but if someone tells me that something won't work, I will build it anyway to know why. Don't tell me not to do something and not give me a good reason, because if you do, it's going to be done. And I will do my best to prove them wrong lmao. But, it's all good times.

Top Bottom