Are you a plane person or a heli person? And why?

PeachFuzz

Are you a plane person or a heli person? And why?

So I started out doing planes about almost a year ago and about 2 months ago after my dad got into planes we joined our local rc club and it was a way to spend time togethor because I don't live with my dad and when we aren't flying we would talk about something else and he told me hdivas really good at helicopters. I knew he had a few electric 500 sized and I think I 750 nitro one and he wanted me to try flying helicopters. So he had a cx2 so I can fly around the house with it and soon I'm getting a 450 once I get better with helis so I do both. And yeah that was kinda long

wolfman76

i love helis but if i had to choose i would say planes i love being able to do a highspeed low passes and then pulling vertical into a barrel roll it is just cool to say the least or even a highspeed inverted low pass just feet off the deck just have to remember to push the stick the right way to climb out of it... lol

I'm with wolfman, I'm a plane person. More to do with personal preference, have always loved planes as a kid, esp those from the WWII era. Helicopters are cool, and certainly a handful and have a HUUUUUGE learning curve, but I just like my planes

Slobberdog

I am Heli, for the only reason i have not tried planes, I did have an obsession for racing 10th scale buggies but that was many years ago.

My bother in law is on the look out for one of thos fixed wing thingies for me to have a try of so you never know, lol, time will tell.

Derek

I have the Trex 500 and I love it. Although it terrifies me a bit because I just don't know what it would cost to repair a crash. I need to get over that fear and I am working on it. I do have several scratch built planes made from foam board, including the RCH Trainer, and I have a great time with the planes.

So, am I a heli guy or plane guy??? I'd probably have to say that I'm a plane guy.

Tony

Staff member
The OP of this thread posted a legitimate question, and you guys jacked the hell out of it. Stay on topic please. Off topic posts have been deleted.

john2012

Banned
im into both i have two 450's sport and a pro and i also have the habu2 red white,and blue have flown the sport and did a little taxing with the habu2 like them both

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
I'm a heli person... but, could more than easily go into a plane guy... reason for it? It's only because I can't fly my planes, should soon be solved.

Dirk

I've flown both but got bored with the planes. I wouldn't mind a nice turbine jet though. I love my heli very much. Always a challenge! So yeah, call me a heli fanatic.

murankar

Staff member
I love my heli. I am able to fly just about anywhere that is open. Also as long as I feel I have the space its game on.

Chompwat

It's both for me.
I started with planes which I still love very much.
I kinda drifted in to helis as something to,do from home in the winter months, and like everything else to do with this hobby very quickly got hooked.
Basically my thing now is if it flies, I want to fly it.
Latest for me is a Bixler 2 for my first steps in to FPV, and TRex 450 to move the heli thing along.
I also,built a quad a few weeks back which is huge fun.
Next I want a 'wing' and to go auto pilot!

Tomhintz

I originally flew fixed wing exclusively including lots of 1/4-scale performance aircraft like Pitts Specials, Christian Eagles (loved Bipes) and what ever then called pattern ships. I quit RC entirely for 25 years, was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and figured RC was a great way to exercise my brain as my doctors want me to. It is working and I just ordered (this morning) my T Rex 450 Pro 3GX Super combo after an aborted foray into helos with Blade products earlier. I look forward to getting back into helos with a better machine to suppliment my fixed wings.

Tomhintz

I am a plane person because I can already fly them, OK pretty good. I'm not hitting the ground too much anyway.
I want to be a helicopter person and am waiting right this second for UPS to bring my new T Rex 450 Pro 3GX Super combo so I can start building and working on becoming a helicopter person also. will always fly planes as well but am facinated by helicopters. I did try this before but got hold of a Blade 300X and that scared me off of helos, then I found out how many others had the same opinion of the 300X. (A guy at our field that flys lots of helos with no problem head a 300X, crashed it once, fixed it, went back to the field, crashed it again, picked it up, took it out to the parking lot, put it behind the tire on his car and backed over it. He picked up the squashed 300X and dropped it in the trash. I went home and sold my 300 for a song.

danhampson

Im a heli person, ive been fascinated by helis from being a small boy, I had never really been into RC until i was given a coaxial last christmas, and that was enough to get me completely hooked.
I have been thinking for the past month or so about getting a plain, but think that i have enough to contend with at the moment with my heli's.

concept30

im a 100% helicopter guy, the way it can just seat there and Hover is so amazing, i cant drive by a airfield, if i see a helicopter i might wreak my truck.

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
just thought of a good second reason why I'm more of a heli guy, planes try to imitate heli's by hovering, so A a heli is the true thing, and B planes try to imitate helis. So i vote HELIS, also helis can do more than planes, however it takes longer to do it ;)

Tomhintz

I can hover my airplane but I can't flat spin, snap roll or fly my heli knife edge. OK, I tried kinife edge but it's just a semi-aerodynamic brick at that point.

Tony

Staff member
I have held off on this question for a long time because with no place to fly planes, i would have been a little biased in my opinion. But after the last couple weekends of actually getting out to a field and flying, I have a new opinion.

I'm both :yahoo:

When I'm looking for a challenge, and my fingers are working the way they need to work, I will snatch up one of the heli's that I have and toss it around the air to see if I can snap the blades off of it. But when I just want to go out and see something in the air, and forget about everything else in the world for 5 minutes at a time, I will grab one of my planes.

The heli's I can fly at my house, well, except for the 600. Because of this, I fly the heli's more than I fly the planes. Or I did. Now that I finally woke up and went back to the club, I find myself getting quite a bit of joy out of grabbing my Edge's and tossing them around the air. Now that I had issues with my Mini Edge, it's time to put the Extra back in the air and have some more fun with that one.

I did fly heli's this last weekend, but only one flight, and it was short. Something was off, and it turned out to be a loose ball on the swash that connects to the blade links. Talk about a close call!

But at the end of the day, depending on my mood, I will fly both and have a great time doing it. no matter if it's my electric or my nitro helicopters, or balsa or foam board planes. I just love to fly!

Top Bottom