Apprentice S 15e

Blade_flyer

That was a conversion. These are only sold with tricycle gear. This is a real easy mod to do on this airplane. The main gear is retained by a slot in the battery tray on the plane. This tray can be carefully removed, turned around, and re-glued in. This puts the gear well forward of the CG. I then installed a steerable tail wheel and now it taxis well on grass. I also added slightly larger wheels so it would handle a little better on the ground. This also give it the needed ground clearance for the prop.

Blade_flyer

When I was first learning with this plane, if you landed just slightly hard, it would pull out the plastic clevis on the nose gear control rod where it attached to the rudder servo. These were the small gray parkzone clevis's and I would keep at least 8 or so in my flight bag. I think they are sold in packs of 4. But on the good side, it sure beats breaking servos!

Bud

bbj

I like this tail dragger mod since any grass landings or takeoffs are tricky with the tricycle gear. Its hard to turn during takeoff and prone to nose overs on grass runways. It also would assist me in perfecting my flying, more so takeoff and landings, for when I maiden my P51D 1450mm Mustang.

Blade_flyer

I'm out flying it today if I think about it I'll take some pictures of the tail wheel assembly that I bought. I can't remember the brand but next time I'm at the hobby shop I'll look for it. With a small mod it works great on this plane.

bbj

I would very much be interested in those pics and what you bought for the tail wheel. What did you use for a servo for that tail wheel or did the assembly you bought have the servo as part of its package?

Blade_flyer

I ran a long linkage rod to the rudder servo. I hooked it to the second hole from the end next to the rudder link hole.

Blade_flyer

I would very much be interested in those pics and what you bought for the tail wheel. What did you use for a servo for that tail wheel or did the assembly you bought have the servo as part of its package?

Here is a shot of the tail wheel

IMG_3054.JPG

IMG_3054.JPG

Diver9543

I just picked up the Apprentice S 15e. The field I fly at is mainly a grass field. There is a helo pad but it is not very long. I can see where this mod is going to be very helpful/necessary. Thanks for the post and pictures.

Jerry

Top Bottom