Anyone using a 9x radio?

daved20319

I'm running Phoenix 4 with a Turnigy 9x flashed with OpenTX firmware. I can get it to work okay if I leave most of the control in the sim, but when I start trying to move the control into my TX, things start getting weird. The only good tutorials I've seen are using Spektrum or JR radios, and there's just too many differences for it to translate well. Yes, I know I should have bought a Spektrum TX, but if I could have afforded a Spektrum I wouldn't have bought the Turnigy.

Setting the radio aside, my problem is twofold. First, I just don't understand the what/where/when/why of programming the radio. I can find my way around the various menus okay, but I don't understand how to incorporate a set of pitch curves into the mixer, with all that that entails. Second, although there's a couple of pretty good heli templates built into the firmware I'm running, they don't work with Phoenix, and I don't know enough to trouble shoot it. Part of the problem is terminology, my TX uses Cyclic 1, 2, & 3 for the swash mix, for example, but it doesn't carry over to Phoenix, the sim is using different terms, and I don't know enough to sort it out.

Anyway, my goal is to use the sim as a virtual helicopter, set up to be as close to real world as possible, controlled by my radio as much as possible. Any help in achieving that goal will be much appreciated. Later.

Dave

Stambo

Hi Dave
The 9x IMHO is a very good tx for the money, however no matter how you set it up on Phoenix it will NEVER be the same as flying a real RC helicopter.
I use mine with stock firmware on Phoenix and use Phoenix's setup to add DR, expo etc.
The opentx software has a steeper learning curve but I would still suggest that any curves, DR, expo etc you want to set up should still be left to Phoenix.
Westy has some good tutorials on Phoenix that you might like to watch.

If you are thinking that the settings you use for Phoenix can be used for your heli I have one word for you, DON"T.
It will most likely end in disaster.

Use the sim for tx familiarisation and brain training, don't treat it like a game, think to yourself a crash will cost me money.
The sim is good for orientation training and trying different moves etc.
You can even get to fly with a few people on here if you happen to be in a time zone where someone is on.

The difference between 2 helicopters can be huge just as the difference between sim and heli is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a sim is bad, just use it as training tool and be aware that when you start with the heli you will have to take several steps back again.
Tony has some good training vids on here that you might want to take a look at also.

Good luck and enjoy the addiction of RC flight.

daved20319

Hi, Stambo. Yes, I'm well aware that the sim won't be the same as flying a real bird. And I'm aware that a TX setup for a virtual bird may not transfer to a real one very well, if at all. And the idea that the same model of two supposedly identical helis can be very different doesn't phase me in the least, I got used to that with air guns, even high end ones. So I guess I need to reiterate what I need, and why I think I need it :).

What I'm after is a step by step tutorial that walks me through the creation of a new model CP heli in the TX, with an explanation along the way of the what/when/where/why you'd make each step, and how it all connects together. Simple, right :D? I'm aware that that's a tall order, but leaving all but the most basic of programming in the sim doesn't teach me anything about programming my radio, and that seems like an important distinction to me. The radio is my sole point of contact and communication with that model once it's in the air. If I don't understand what I'm telling it to do, how can I expect the heli to get it?

I realize that a sim is just a tool, and an approximation at best, but that's why I got it, as a training tool, not a glorified video game. If all I wanted was a game, MS Flight Sim is a lot cheaper. Again, thanks for your response. Later.

Dave

Stambo

Here is a basic video tutorial on mixing, there are heaps out there, you just gotta trawl through and find what you are trying to achieve.
I have set up a 9xr, which uses the same software, for a friend and this video is what got me started.

er9x Tutorial: Mix Menu - YouTube

Last edited:

daved20319

Thanks, Stambo, that did help, but now I've got more questions, but they're sim specific so I'll do a new post. Later.

Dave

Top Bottom