Anyone Own the "New iPad"?

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Has anyone purchased the "New iPad" (or commonly referred to as iPad 3)? I'm looking to see who has what accessories and their opinions on them.

crashbash

Don't own one but heard they suffer from overheating, I seem to remember that one country, could be Australia, where you could take it back for a full refund because of this problem.

Rob

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I have an I Pad 2. and love it!

My understanding is the size of the iPad2 is almost exactly the same as the New iPad ... only difference being the New iPad is about .02" thicker than the previous version. I believe almost all of the peripherals for the 2 will work for the New. So, with that said, what do you have for yours and what do you like? Mine will be here this Friday. I'm looking to get a cover for it, so I'm looking for some advice.

callsign4223

Staff member
My job ordered us the new ones. Only real difference we have noticed between the 2 and the new one are longer charging times(the new one has a double size battery), LTE on verizon, and the addition of the wifi hotspot functionality. We haven't noticed any heat related issues. All of the accessories we have for the 2 have worked for the new one. Some cases don't quite match with the rear camera holes though.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I use mine just like A lap top. The only thing I cant do with mine is upload pictures. I can however e-mail them.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I purchased a cover with built in bluetooth keyboard, a 5-in-1 card reader (which includes USB support), 3 clear screen protectors, & styluses. All of that cost me about $36 shipped on Amazon. I guess with the cost of the cover being so low, I'm not too worried if I don't really like it, though it seems to have gotten good reviews. I'll let you know.

As for the differences between the iPad2 and the New iPad, there is a huge difference in the screen resolution with the Retina display, it will take 1080p video @ 30fps, and it has a quad core processor, all of which add up to a large improvement to the iPad2.

callsign4223

Staff member
Do you notice much difference with the new processor? We haven't noticed much difference at my office, but most of what we are doing is bandwidth intensive, not processor intensive.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I couldn't tell you anything about a difference in processor speed as this is my first iPad. I can tell you, however, the speed in which it does things is quite impressive. I bought the one which is wifi only. My thinking here was if I need a hotspot, I'd attach it through my phone. Such as it is, it is much faster downloading and installing than my phone is, which is the Droid X with a sigle core proc. This quad core in the iPad stinking screams. The Retina display is down right beautiful, though I haven't taxed it much yet. I'm really waiting to get my cover for it as I have a bad habit of dropping things ... I don't need to destroy $700 worth of gadget before I even get a chance to use it. Now all I have to do is figure out which apps I need and how to use the stupid thing and I'll be golden. Oh, BTW, FedEx just delivered it last night ... two day earlier than they said, so I'm not too upset with them :biggrin1: I love fast service!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I do not know what kind of cover your getting but it will break the screen with the cover on it if you drop it! I know first hand!! Lol

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
There are many different covers out there (I've been researching , lol :biggrin1: ) If you want a cover which will provide the utmost in protection, look at the Otter cases. These completely encapselate (sp) the iPad. It is mainly made out of rubber (or rubber like substance) which will absorb almost all the shock if you drop it. I didn't see an Otter which has a built-in keyboard. Mine will snap onto the front to cover the screen and also stand it upright when I'm using the keyboard. Like I said above, it wasn't that expensive, so if I find I don't like it, I'll probably go to the Otter or another one which is "GI Proof". I don't think any cover provides 100% protection, but some are definitely better than others. This is the cover I bought.

callsign4223

Staff member
If you are looking for a mostly rugged case, check out the gumdrop cases. This is what our fire department is using on the Ipads they have in their trucks.

murankar

Staff member
How bout a pelican case. those things protect like nobodies business. water tight also, but a bit bulky.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Mine is a belkin. It covers the whole I pad. It has a flip up cover that covers the screen when not in use. Still broke my screen one day when I dropped it. This is mine

Amazon.com: Belkin Flip Folio Stand for Apple iPad 2 (Blacktop/Midnight): Electronics

If you are looking for a mostly rugged case, check out the gumdrop cases. This is what our fire department is using on the Ipads they have in their trucks.

I'll check these out. Thanks!

How bout a pelican case. those things protect like nobodies business. water tight also, but a bit bulky.

This sounds like the mil-spec case I was talking about. I'll check it out as well.

As for the keyboard case I bought, I don't really like it. The main issue I'm having is, it really doesn't "grab" the iPad when I have it in the store position. Plus, when I'm not using the keyboard, you have to let it just hang out on its own. A buddy of mine showed me his where it attaches to the back and has a flip cover to go over the screen. I don't know if it gives me a level of protection I'm looking for, but I would like it better than what I have now. There are two things I am realizing about my iPad: 1) It's pretty slick, 2) that little sucker is heavy! Must be full of battery or something. No big deal, I like it :biggrin1:

murankar

Staff member
Mil spec yes. Expensive yes, in most cases. They are bulky unless they make one for this application. Almost got one foe my cellphone.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Here is what the Pelican case looks like ... while it looks awesome, it probably is a bit much for what I'm looking for:

i1075-2T.jpg

It's waterproof to three feet and drop proof from three feet. Definitely tough.

EDIT: And I see they run about $45-75 ... not too expensive, especailly considering what you get.

i1075-2T.jpg

Last edited:

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
You know, I've looked at all of their literature ... I find nowhere do they say it does, but they suggest it does. I would have to look around and see. I mean, it is a little bulky, but it it would definitely protect the Pad, lol :biggrin1: It definitely does more than just look pretty.

Tony

Staff member
I don't know if it will protect it or not. It's only holding it by the corners and doesn't hold the center with any kind of foam or anything. This to me would be the weak spot in the ipad. Ah well, I will never be able to afford one, so no need in me worrying about it lmao.

Top Bottom