Anyone Into Freshwater Aquariums ?

Brick

My Daughter is wanting to get an aquarium. I have been wanting one myself for quite some time. so we are looking at building a freshwater tank. looking at 29 gallon at the moment. lots of info to soak in on cycling the tank, filters, & lighting, all kinds of stuff !

Tony

Staff member
Freshwater is pretty simple compared to a saltwater tank (thread on here about that one going back to 2011 I think lol). But we do have a 29 gallon fresh water. Just a simple little tank with a few basic fish. Change the water once in a while to keep the nitrates down and you are good. We have an undergravel filter on ours, but I don't like it. All it is good for is trapping detritus under the plastic trap and you have to remove all of the gravel to clean it. It's easier to just use gravel and a vac.

If you are going to use plastic decorations, that is about it. If you are looking to get into a planted tank, fish selection will be key since you want fish that won't eat the plants. You will also need a better substrate and you will need to run C02 for the plants.

And when you are ready for a really great tank, read through my saltwater thread lol. Most have better luck than I did with this current tank (which is stable now, for the most part)

Brick

Tony, my Daughter is 10 years old. I want to start off with a simple freshwater tank to make sure she is committed to taking care of one. Down the road if she gets hooked, I'd LOVE to do a saltwater tank for sure ! do you have a link to that older thread ?

Tony

Staff member
That tank there is one that you can buy at walmart ready to setup. The filter, heater (which sucks) and substrate comes with it. And it is 29 gallon, just like you want, and it came with the stand. Can't remember what we paid for it, but it was not bad at all.

Brick

Petco has the Aqueon tanks @ $1 per gallon. so $29 for the tank. I do metal fab, so I'm going to do the base. just trying to decide on a filter & light source. so far I'm leaning toward a sponge filter & pump. and Led hood

I read your troubles with your saltwater tank. yeah I'm not sure if we want to get into that without a little experience maintaining a freshwater first. Did you finally let the tank go away ?

Tony

Staff member
Nope, I still have the tank. It still has its little issues, but it is running and everything is growing.

As for filter and light, get a good filter. I have never been a fan of the air driven, they just don't look good in a tank. One that hangs on the back (HOB) are the best. And they are pretty cheap.

As for light, LED all the way. Low power, no heat and low voltage. No need for anything powerful like T5HO's or high powered LED's unless you are going planted. You just need to get a little light to see the fish.

Smoggie

I've got a couple of freshwater tropical tanks, one a community tank and the other a Discus tank. the Discus are a little more 'fussy' but generally they are easy enough to keep.
You can get bacteria additive to mature the tank much quicker which should prevent 'new tank syndrome' that is the biggest cause of fish dying in a new tank. I have some called 'Stability' by Seachem, but is is a bit pricey. If you know someone with a well established and stable tank you could take some of his water and some gravel and or a used filter element to get your tank going. Or if all else fails just get a couple of small cheap and hardy fish (e.g. guppies) and do regular water changes. A test kit is a must to keep an eye on the tanks chemistry.

Good luck!

murankar

Staff member
I just set mine up. I thought doing a water exchange would help me cycle the tank also. That's a myth from what I am finding out. What you need is things like gravel, a used filter, decorations or plants from an established tank. That's where the bacteria is located, supposedly not in the water.

I have been deep in the YouTube these last 4 days just trying to get the info. I am doing a chemical and fish cycle along with adding a filter a castle and an Amazon Sword plant from my established tank to help cycle it. Tuesday I will be doing my next water test.

Something else to keep in mind is that 10 gallon tanks are a bit more difficult to care for. There is not a lot of water volume. It like being in a car with the windows up and someone smoking in the car. My 10 gallon has been a struggle to keep almost perfect. Stay away from gold fish with a 10 gallon. They really need 20 gal or bigger. They are dirty fish.

My current project is a 38 gallon planted tank. I am almost set for the start up. I need to research the CO2 setup and still. Eed to get more plants. As for fish that part is done till after the cycle. I want a catfish and another bottom feeder along with some Angel's if at alm possible.

Like Tony I have an under gravel in my 10 gallon. Today I stopped it and switched back to a hang on back. I also got a gravel syphon sonic can clean out the gravel during my water changes. I will say the syphon really took out a lot of the debris . I am trying to keep the tank stirred up so the hang on back can suck out more debris. A simple hangnon back and a gravel cleaning syphon is all you need . Change you filter monthly and your normal maintenance schedule and your all set.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Not like me lol. If it were up to me I would not have a fresh water tank.

Although I do have an update on the one that we have. It now has cichlids in it. We are in the process of getting the nitrates down, and the pH and dKH up for the fish.

I did just order some stuff for my saltwater tank, but that is for another thread...

Brick

Just a heads up. We've become infatuated now with doing a saltwater nano tank. probably gonna get a 32 gal Biocube. Lots & Lots of homework on this thing. I've always wanted the salt ! and my Daughter wants Clown Fish ! gotta get this going, cause Spring is just around the corner …. and Dad also wants a new Heli !

murankar

Staff member
Tony has a super long thread on saltwater. His tank has been going since 2011ish. Its been up and down. Its definitely a little more difficult to run salt. I would say yes to starting small.

Outside of my 10 gallon this is my first tank of this size.

Update

Yesterday I did my checks. My ammonia is starting to rise as expected. I am at 1 ppm as of yesterday. So now it's time to keep a close eye on the tank. My nitrites were .5 ppm and nitrates at 10 ppm.

Tony and I did some texting Back and forth over the ammonia stuff. I was wondering at what point do I do a water change. As untold him I will watch the fish and see if they start showing signs of stress from the cycle.

From what I have gathered thus far ammonia prevents the oxygen transfer in the fishes gills. A sign of high ammonia is the fish appear to be gasping for air. So if you see this behaviour then maybe you might need a water change. Another thing this is the point where new fish owners start to possibly lose fish and not know why. Well this is it, the cycle. Anyways the tank is doing what it should and Sunday I should have another update.

Brick

I see A LOT of people don't have the patience to let the tank cycle. part of the fun for me is watching the tank do it's thing, everyday will be probably something new. I got no problem waiting 6-8 weeks to add in some fish

murankar

Staff member
Your method of cycling is on you. You can do a non fish cycle, fish cycle or a combination of both. I am doing a combination cycle. I have added bacteria to my tank prior to adding fish. I let that donuts thing for about 48 hours. Then after the tank settled in on temp I dropped in 8 fish to begin the cycling.

Trust me I want to dump in more fish but can't. Nit right now anyways. The key is to start with strong fish that can handle a cycle. Then you want to add items that were in a cycled or established tank. By doing that you will be adding in good bacteria from the start. It helps in speeding up the process.

If your going to do a non fish cycle keep in mind you will need an ammonia source to start the process. I have heard of people adding fish food to the tank. When the food decays it will release ammonia which is what you need. This addition should be done almost daily as if your actually feeding fish.

Maybe tony has some ideas about this process that I dont know yet.

Brick

What kind of ammonia additive did you use ? I've read about ghost feeding and even throwing in a thawed shrimp to get the kick start

Tony

Staff member
For a no fish cycle, you can just toss in a single small shrimp that you purchase from the grocery store. This method will take weeks to complete. Doing it with fish will be faster, but it is hard on the fish. The uneaten food as well as the waste the fish make will help with the process. All you are doing is trying to get the nitrafying bacteria to grow. However, I'm used to saltwater, not fresh water. We have live rock and fresh water doesn't have that. So I'm not 100% sure on what goes on with freshwater.

As for saltwater though, the larger the better. The more water you have, the more stable it will be. My tank is about 120 gallons in total, maybe a little less now that I got rid of the refugium part of my sump that I made. The Key is patience and husbandry. If you can let the tank fully cycle with clown fish or damsils, then keep up with a weekly 10-15% water change for the life of the tank, you will be golden. My issue is the water changes. I just can't find the time to shut the tank down to do a water change. This last time was water. My Anion resin in my 3 stage DI was depleted and I needed to replace it before I made anymore water, and I had to wait for funds to come in, then the time to change it and now, I have the water, but I have not added my salt to the barrel. I make about 45 gallons of water at a time so it takes a while to mix and heat up.

Anyway, if you want more information on salt water tanks, post a reply in my saltwater thread. I don't want to jack this one anymore than I already have. I will give you all the information that I have on the subject.

Top Bottom