General Anyone Interested In Planes?

Tony

Staff member
I just wanted to post up and ask all of you if any of you are interested in airplane videos? I have a lot of planes, but have never really done any real videos on them. I also have connections to get new planes and products. But what I want to know is if any of you are interested in seeing airplane videos?

To be quite honest, I get bored with things pretty quickly, and I have been doing quads for quite a while now. I'm looking for something to change things up, and I figure airplanes is where it's at.

Let me know if you are interested and post up what you would like to see.

Tony

Staff member
Most of what I will do in the beginning is going to be foamies. Kind of. They will be EPP or EPO foam. But I'm also thinking about doing some balsa build videos because there needs to be more of those out there lol. I miss building them, covering them and flying something that you just put 40+ hours into building.

RandyDSok

To me the foamies are the most boring and don't usually have very good accurate flying tendencies ... a quality built wood or fiberglass plane is so much better as to almost be no contest

Quads really don't do anything for me... they are great photo/video platforms because of the stability that the gyros and stuff give them. It's that stability that I'm sure draws many to them... and also why I'm not as interested.

Heli's are very cool and they do present a tough challenge... I like challenges but I've grown a bit lazy... hence my own preferences lean towards the planes since they do have a bit of a challenge but don't make you work too hard.

trainrider06

I'd like to see some plane stuff, and see what kind of stuff is out there for a beginner since at some point I'd like to get me a plank one day.

Smoggie

Planes were my first love in RC, I was flying planes on and off for over 35 years before the heli bug bit. I still fly the planes now and again and I'm still interested in seeing build threads etc. One of these days I'll take on a balsa scratch build again but lately i've been too lazy so it's all RTF's in my current fleet.

Tony

Staff member
To me the foamies are the most boring and don't usually have very good accurate flying tendencies ... a quality built wood or fiberglass plane is so much better as to almost be no contest

Quads really don't do anything for me... they are great photo/video platforms because of the stability that the gyros and stuff give them. It's that stability that I'm sure draws many to them... and also why I'm not as interested.

Heli's are very cool and they do present a tough challenge... I like challenges but I've grown a bit lazy... hence my own preferences lean towards the planes since they do have a bit of a challenge but don't make you work too hard.

When you say "foamies" are you referring to profile planes, or are you including EPP and EPO?

I'd like to see some plane stuff, and see what kind of stuff is out there for a beginner since at some point I'd like to get me a plank one day.

If I can make this deal happen that I'm working on right now, I may have the perfect plane for you. If you are into 3D planes anyway.

I'm into planes, I only fly small stuff myself because of the small area we fly in.

How small is small? The little 15" micros or something like that?

Planes were my first love in RC, I was flying planes on and off for over 35 years before the heli bug bit. I still fly the planes now and again and I'm still interested in seeing build threads etc. One of these days I'll take on a balsa scratch build again but lately i've been too lazy so it's all RTF's in my current fleet.

Balsa is where it's at. I have 5 balsa planes, 6 if you include the kit that I built that has yet to fly lol. I really need to get that plane in the air, but I need to finish the ailerons first...

RandyDSok

When you say "foamies" are you referring to profile planes, or are you including EPP and EPO?

Pretty much anything made of foam...

The first plane I got when getting back into the hobby ( not sure they had many foamies back in my teens and twenties that weren't just gliders )... was a 58" full body EPP or EPO P-51D Mustang... can't recall the brand but it was well liked by most and sold by Nitroplane for years ( if they don't still carry a version of it )... I modded the heck out of it trying to keep the "wiggle" of it. It wasn't uncontrollable or anything bad or close to that... but every buffet of air would caused it to wiggle just a bit. The control surfaces were the cause...

The last profile I got, 34" Edge, I do like a little bit... it's a 3DHS with a carbon fiber "ladder" along the fuse, two in the wing and one in the horizontal stab. It's not a fast one, but it works for practicing anything I'd want. Of course anything this size has a wind issue even if it weren't foam... it's the most stable I've seen in a foamie but is still prone to having some of the control surfaces shake at speed.

I'm also not a fan of the aesthetics of any foam.. basically I'm pretty biased against them for several reasons.

Tony

Staff member
I'm pretty much the same way when it comes to aesthetics. I hate the look of all of those little dots lol.

I know the profile you are talking about. They are fantastic for inside flight, but that is about it. Great for learning new maneuvers.

Now you just need to get back out and actually start flying lmao.

Tony

Staff member
See, I think those are a blast. They are a challenge to fly (as far as planes go). High wing with Dihedral gets pretty boring pretty quick. High straight wing is a little better (like my decathlon) since they are better at stunts. Warbirds are great for flying scale and 3D is just a blast throwing them around the sky. Just my opinion of course.

See, I think those are a blast. They are a challenge to fly (as far as planes go). High wing with Dihedral gets pretty boring pretty quick. High straight wing is a little better (like my decathlon) since they are better at stunts. Warbirds are great for flying scale and 3D is just a blast throwing them around the sky. Just my opinion of course.
I ALMOST bought a decathlon

Tony

Staff member
They are fantastic. I purchased mine as a package deal with an F4U Corsair. The Decathlon is a 68" with a 4 stroke engine, the F4U is a 58" with a .61 2 stroke engine. I also got a JR Tx, pit box, fuel and all electronics for both planes. I have yet to fly either of them. The F4U only has 1/4 flight on it. It was crashed and I put the plane back together. So the engine is tight as hell. And now, I have no place to fly a plane that large.

RandyDSok

I know the profile you are talking about. They are fantastic for inside flight, but that is about it. Great for learning new maneuvers.

Now you just need to get back out and actually start flying lmao.

Actually... this one does decent in a bit of wind... not more than 10mph or so though...

You are probably right about needing to get out again... budget concerns are keeping that out of the question for the moment

Tony

Staff member
Bro, i'm looking for a new location that doesn't require AMA, doesn't require membership dues, and Damn sure doesn't require that friggin FAA crap. I know Matt is going to chime in here and say to fly at the school by his house, but I need a place to fly big planes lol. Some farmers field or something. So if you know of a place like that, just let me know.

Tony

Staff member
Copy that. I have one on the way that could be a great, cheap introduction to 3D planes. We will find out when i get it.

mooserider

Hey Tony. Speaking of 3D... what do you (or anyone else reading) feel is the most acrobatic style of plane? I've always though biplanes, and I know many others do. But I've seen some Yaks and others that I've never personally owned/flown... pattern planes for example... that are astonishingly aerobatic. I'm really talking about nitros though; electrics' weight to power ration makes anything absurdly 3D.

mooserider

That question, I realize now is far too vague. Given two nitro planes... say a yak or a chaos (pattern style planes)... and a biplane, what's really the difference? Two air foils? And don't biplanes have a lower stall tolerance?

I guess my real question is why two wings vs one?

Top Bottom