500 Anyone ever hear of....

trainrider06

static discharge on a TRex 500 FB belt tail causing interference with the receiver?
I ran across somewhere someone or a few had had issues with this.
The fix being squirt some silicon spray down the shaft, but looks like someone came up
with another fix....found this in a parts cashe that I got from a fella a while back when I was
gathering parts for my 500FB build....
Pretty ingenious I gotta say...the ground wire runs through the tail block and sets against the bearing.
Then there is a lead coming out that grounds onto the mounting screw...image.jpg

image.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Yes it's possible. Ground the tail case to the motor mount and you should be fine. It will take one long piece of wire to do that. Hopefully your tail case is metal.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

murankar

Staff member
Looked at the pic after posting. Yes that will work just run the wire lead to the motor mount. Do not mount to carbon fiber.

This issue is called graphenburg effect. If I remember correctly.

Lee

Yep. It was a common thing to do to the Trex 500.
I have a Goblin and a Warp360. Both are belted tails, but never seen anyone worry about grounding the tail.

Admiral

The Mikado 600 kit comes with an anti static strap included as standard, not sure about the other models.

trainrider06

Looked at the pic after posting. Yes that will work just run the wire lead to the motor mount. Do not mount to carbon fiber.

This issue is called graphenburg effect. If I remember correctly.

Ah shoot! Whoever made this thing up has it so that it screws into the mount of the tail block....
and it touches the carbon fiber frame....:(
Hmm? So should I cut the wire solder either some extension wire or ground strap, and reroute it to
the motor mount directly? Graphenburg effect sounds like some sort of German disease! :wink:.

murankar

Staff member
When grounding its best to use a single piece of wire. I would suggest cutting a length that will run to the motor mount and just replace what's there. When you open the boom block you should be able to disconnect the original. As for the ends I would either crimp or solder some ring ends to help with contact surface.

trainrider06

Uhhgg! I already have the tail boom installed, I have a solid copper wire with insulation
That I think I'll solder to the existing wire, put a connector on it and screw it down to the motor
mount, I don't wanna take all that apart again....:( hopefully that'll be good enough.

murankar

Staff member
It should as long as the solder joint is clean and shinny.

trainrider06

Will do Murankar!
Yeah I'd thought about doing that also Tony, may
still just give her a squirt here and there, just for CYA
purpose. They have a TT conversion for this heli, and
I may do that eventually.

Tony

Staff member
If you can take off and land without touching the tail on teh ground, then just get the TT kit. And get the black gears for it. Your helicopter will be much smoother after you put that shaft in there.

trainrider06

My DFC Pro 500 is a TT, I like it! But that kit, when its in stock is $80.00!
Have other heli needs ahead of that, just scored a brand new Pulse 3300 for the DFC 500, and picked up some
spare batteries for my V120D02. Heli budget for a while a little low for now....:(

Top Bottom