Batteries Anyone else try manually balancing batteries?

xokia

I received a new 5000 mAh 3S battery recently that one cell was consistently .3V lower then the rest. I tried balancing with the charger a few times and the charger wouldn't bring up that one cell. So I set the charger to 1S and charged at 1.2 Ah through the balance port. This worked like a charm.

After this I've run the battery down a few times and charged the battery back up while balancing and now I get consistent balanced cells. It appears that at least with my charger if the cells are two far out of range it's not able to balance correctly. So if you have cells that won't balance you might try manually charging each individual cell.

xokia

Yeah it does 1s to 6s. It has the generic 4 button style software.

Ok I'll try to explain and let me know if you have questions. First you will need two small wires small enough to poke into the balance port plug. On my 3S battery the balance plug wires are black,white,blue, and red.

To charge cell one put negative charge wire on the black balance port. Positive charge wire on white balance port. Set your charger to 1S and allow to charge at no more then 1.2Ah. It will complete when it reaches 4.2V

Now to do cell two put the negative charge wire on the white balance port wire. Positive charge wire on the blue balance port wire. Repeat the same charge process as above.

To charge cell three put the negative charge wire on the blue balance port wire. Positive charge wire on the red balance port wire. Repeat the same charge process as above.

Do not plug in the main power cables and only do one cell at a time.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
So you are just jumping to the cell you want. I would have to figure out my balance board. I may have to make special plugs because I do have a board and would like to make simple connections vs doing something complicated every time.

xokia

So you are just jumping to the cell you want. I would have to figure out my balance board. I may have to make special plugs because I do have a board and would like to make simple connections vs doing something complicated every time.
Yea you could sacrifice a balance board for this. Cut the connector off and put banana jacks on them. Or something like that. The danger will be the exposed jacks not being used. Don't allow them to touch or short on anything.

Lee

Very interesting idea. I will have to try this if i get a bad cell one day.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I have a dead cell on one of my 6s batteries. I wonder if I could jump start that cell using this method.

Westy

LEGEND
yep it works. I have tried it. all you have to do it measure the voltage on the droopy cell and then run a 1s charge into it..... make up a couple of pins to tap into the earth wire and the droopy cell - walla!

totoheat

Hello

I have 2 6S batteries with a problem with one of their cells and I want to try to recover them using this idea but I want to make sure I understand this system before I go true:thinking:it I have attached a draw with diagram could you let me know if this is way to do it in 6S battery ???

Attachments

• Lipo batt one cell at time Model (1).pdf
    25.2 KB · Views: 29

murankar

Staff member
When i balance mine off the charger i use a cell checker that has a balancer in it. All it does is move electricity from one cell to the lower cell. It doesn't really care how out of balance they are.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

totoheat

How you identify in balance Plug which cell its the one low? or you need to do all of them one by one at time until all end with 4.20

did you check attached file where diagram is what am not sure is if that's the order you have to follow for each cell

Can you please post a picture with way you do it

Thanks
Angel

murankar

Staff member
To be honest i font know which cell is which. Now i do know that if you touch the negative probe of a multimeter to the first non negative wire in the balance connector and the positive probe right next to it on the second non negative wire, that will give the voltage of cell one, if you slide down one wire (negative probe on the second none negative wire ) then place your positive probe on the third non negative wire that will give you cell two, move down one more time for cell 3. So on and so on till you have checked all the cells.

If you put the negative probe to the negative wire and positive probe to the last positive wire in the balance port, that will give you full pack voltage.

If i had to guess the first cell is the label face or top cell and the last cell is the cell with the fine print label.

totoheat

Murankar, understood now for charging I should use from my draw (" -,+ " Charge wires) as cell one: - Black and + Orange then Cell 2:- Orange and + Green so on until last cell?

Angel

murankar

Staff member
That's going to depend on the brand. I know someone on had posted a technique of charging one cell at a time. This method could very well be what you need to bring up the voltage of just one cell. Regardless of which balance leads you hook up it will charge just that one cell. This can take a while if you have 3 or more cells to charge.

Here is my pack.

ForumRunner_20140608_160019.jpg

ForumRunner_20140608_160101.jpg

The negative is the black, yellow i think is cell 3, blue is cell 2 and red is cell 1.

On gens ace they use 3 red and 1 black.

ForumRunner_20140608_160019.jpg

ForumRunner_20140608_160101.jpg

Top Bottom