General Any advice on first flight ?

teleman

If everything works out this weekend I would like to try and get my Trex 450 plus " DFC " in the air. Anyone have this bird and anything I should keep caution about ? Im using the DX6I and the heli has the 3gx mrs with a satellite .
One last thing. My skill level is improving a great deal. I play around in the house with a Nano cpx doing hovers and easy circles and stuff, ( No 3D ). Im flying the trex on a sim and have the sim set to advance for the heli but put 60% DR and 30% expo on my DX6I for sim. Flying nice and landing soft. Any advice would be appreciated ….
James

Tony

Staff member
Training gear! That is a must for any helicopter that you are not familiar with. Since this is your first ccpm heli of this size, I would want training gear on it just to save it. Most importantly, don't over react on the sticks. Keep the movements slow and precise.

murankar

Staff member
If you can have your first flights on cement. This is so that you can scoot the heli on the or close to the ground. This will help you get a feel for the controls.

Derek

Hi there, teleman! Definitely look into getting some training gear. At least for the first couple of flights. I'm a firm believer in training gear because I know how much they helped me. Also...I have to agree with the idea of starting of cement. A local parking lot would be great. Spool up the helicopter and gradually increase your throttle to get the heli light on the skids. Giving small stick inputs, move the helicopter around so that you can get familiar with it. Yes, the training gear look silly, at first, but they are a great asset...and you don't have to keep them on the helicopter for a long time. Just long enough to understand what all happens when the helicopter is off the ground. Take them off when YOU are ready.

teleman

Got the training gear today…:nevreness: Didn't think about the benefits of a parking lot. I was thinking the park with nice soft grass just incase …haha…
Thanks guys. More excited then nerves , not sure which one of the two is worse

Derek

While you are testing in the parking lot, just take your time and learn what the helicopter does with your stick inputs. I wouldn't concentrate on going very high right now. The training gear will help save you on some sudden landings. There is no rush! Just progress at your own pace.

Good luck and have fun with it!!!

teleman

Also Im going with the Trex 450 first because if the heli and the sim are close then that little Trex 250 is a handful … I set the sim so that the helicopters are in advance , thinking this would make it more like the real helicopter. If thats true then Ive got a good chance that the 450 will be a lot of fun this weekend. I will for sure use the training gear and get out to the school parking lot and slide it around a little and make " DR and Expo " adjustments as needed… All of you have given me a new look at how to approach this… Feeling really good now…haha
Thanks a Bunch

Top Bottom