Prop Another RCH Trainer thread

callsign4223

Staff member
So, I have been gathering parts here and there to build my own RCH trainer. Last night I was over at Tony's place and he threw his in the air and it really got the bug going for me so I told him how I was planning on building it and that seeing his fly had pushed me over the edge to get mine done this next week.

THEN IT HAPPENED.

Tony, in all his infinite RC knowledge started heckling me, asking why it was gonna take a week, smarting off how he could finish one in an hour and a half. So I told him to prove it. It took him 2 hours and I now have a RCH trainer body that I need to fit all my electronics in. I'm actually kinda sad because I was looking forward to building this thing myself. I haven't built ANY of my birds from scratch, I just keep buying them used from everyone else. But on the positive side, we were able to incorporate some improvements Tony had been thinking about. I am going to try to get all the electronics fitted this week and get it maidened next weekend.

Derek

Heck yeah! Sounds good, Matt!!

It's an amazing phenomenon just how fast that "bug" can just grab ya like that.

Adam

Hey i have some 10x6 or 10x8 props never used....Let me know

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and now tony is building these for us how nice.

canongraphy

hahaha good for you Matt! you won the bet since it took longer than 1 1/2 and you got to keep the prize!
looking forward to your flight.
Tony helped you build it, but you will be the one to put it in the air, that's the best part.

Tony

Staff member
Helped him build it? Um, I built the WHOLE THING lmao. And Matt, if you are sad about it, then bring my plane back and I will put it in the air myself lmao. I have an idea for it that may be kickass. I'm sure it will fly great for ya. If that wing makes it too unstable, then we can add some polyhedral to it and stabilize it out.

and if you take into account all of the times you were yacking at me, I did it in an hour and a half lmao.

Adam

I have motor and ESC that tony recommended WINK WINK but the motor shaft took a nose dive. Let me know if interested. Im getting out of electric.

Tony

Staff member
At this point in time, "Selling" is not the right adjective lmao. And Adam, if you are getting out of electrics, why did you just buy a brand new DFC 450? lmao.

I love my nitro, but it's honestly more trouble than it's worth...

Adam

Umm check Airplane thread lol. Oh and sale thread I will probably let that go for a good bill lol

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind he found it lol. Go Figure

Tony

Staff member
I find EVERYTHING lmao. And you selling off your brand new 450 DFC, are you trying to be like me? hahaha :lmao:

Adam

No the RV-9 I love nitro planes. Man i love that Trex dfc. It had all the new stuff i wanted lol. I just wanted built by me you know how that goes. And oh yeah awesome matt cant wait to see the trainer in the air i have a vid of mine and a plane rescue ya it was great.

Tony

Staff member
Matt will get the RCH Trainer V1.1 in the air come hell or high water. He now has the motor, ESC, Servos and Rx, so there is no excuse. I even cut the control surfaces, made the elevator all one piece, extended the rudder and hinged everything. So again, there is no excuse lmao.

murankar

Staff member
Since I am here and this has to do with the rch why not. Hey how bout a servo tray in the fuse for the elevator and rudder servos? I have been pondering this for some time and was woundering if it would work. In a way it could shift some weight closer to the COG.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, if you wanted to take the time to put the linkages in there and run them the way they need to be run, it can be done. Just make the tray out of 1/8" ply and support it with some foamboard bracing and it should work like a charm.

roger5005

Hey Guys:

I was wondering that Hobby King )HK) post most of their motors in KV, so what does 450 mean...Can you please help this beginner out....

Thanks

Derek

For a brushless electric motor, the KV rating tells how many RPM that motor will turn per volt supplied to it. For example, if you have an 3 cell (11.1v) battery powering a 3500KV motor, your motor’s top RPM will be 3500 X 11.1 = 38,850 RPM.

So, for your example, if you had a 450kv motor, running from that same batter, the motor's top RPM will be 450 X 11.1 = 4,995 RPM.

This also means, for a higher KV motor, the more speed you will have, but there will be less torque (power). The lower KV motors will have more torque (power) and less speed.

I hope this helps.

Tony

Staff member
450 size is actually a heli motor. If you look at the link below, you can see that it's called an Alpha 450, but it's made for an airplane with the prop and firewall mount to put it on the plane. HOWEVER! Don't get that motor as the KV is too low at 890kv. I'm running that motor with a 12x6 prop and it just doesn't have enough vertical performance. Maybe a more aggressive prop will work on it better, but I don't have any.

Look for a motor that is about 90g, 3s rated and spinning 1000-1300kv. The more kv, the less pitch you will run on the prop.

callsign4223

Staff member
Ok, I know how ya'll are picture junkies, so here are some pics of the plane as it comes together. The first one is the wing with the servos mounted. The second is the fuselage with the servos mounted on the top. I had to put at least the rudder servo on top because of the way we cut a chunk out of the rudder to leave the elevator a single piece. I figured that if I was going to mount one on top I might as well mount both there. There seems to be some limited movement on the elevator down, but if I really need to get out of the sky that bad I can kill the motor so I'm not that worried about it. The travel limitation doesn't seem that severe anyway, and I will probably never need to get that much deflection out of the elevator. No, I don't plan on leaving the control rods that long, I just haven't gotten around to cutting them down to size yet.

Photo Apr 15, 9 38 31 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 23, 10 16 56 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 15, 9 38 31 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 23, 10 16 56 PM.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That chair has seen better days lmao. Looks like you got pissed off, more than once, then just started chewing yoru chair up lmao.

The plane is coming along bro. You should download the beta plane that I'm working on now.

so when are you planning to have this thing in the air? Can't wait to see it.

Top Bottom