Other Another IKOn Issue..

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I went thru one flight today on the GOB with no prob. took a break while the other guy took his turn to fly. I put a new set of batts on and low and behold no signal to the bird, the esc went thru its cell count and that was it. so I decided to reinitialize the ESC and this time my sats went into bind mode..WTH! unpluged and repluged batt and it did the same thing. So I decided to rebind at the field and "NOTHING". boy did that cut my flight time short.
now that I am home and i am going thru the wiring and all. Check! Check! and Check. ESC is fine..now the IKON. Plugged her into the PC and checked all fields. What nothing! this cant be. So I decided to just reinstall the default settings and redo it from scratch ESC and all. Before rebinding I removed one of two sats and bind the controller. That worked..i went thru the initializing of ESC and IKON and all went well, unplugged the batt, plugged in the other sat and went thru the bind steps again. this time both sats was looking like they were going to bind but just went blank. :frown: redid the process and it binded like a charm. Stressed at this time and with no beer in hand. I decided to go thru the process a few times of unplugging the batt and pluggin it in to initialize the bird. first two trys were successful, on the third attempt I had issues with the EC5 being loose and having me to move it around on the connector to get it to seat well, this caused a double spark before it sat snug ESC to batt. Low and behold IKON went into bind mode again. I had to go thru the whole process again of loading default settings in order for it to bind and going thru the pluggin and unplugging process without having to get that double spark. All seems good for now and will field test this badboy tomorrow. Oh! and as for the EC5..you know where they will be going soon..

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Now, just asking.. Not that I am saying you dont know what you are doing.. When you say IKON / SAT go into Bind mode.. what do you see?

Did the chain of events happen something like this:

Turn on the Ikon first time.. for whatever reason, the ESC didnt initialize.. you disconnected power, TX was left ON .. and you reconnected the battery , at this point, the Satts were blinking.. slow blink.. Now if thats the case, it just means that the DSMX sats are telling you that while your TX was on, the satts lost power (or browned out once) the more times you disconnect it, you will see more blinks. like the second time, you'll see the satts blink twice in a row and stop and again.. and so on..

NOw the bind process: they will go into bind ONLY if you left the Bind plug in on the SYS/ BIND port on the IKON. if not, there is no way IKON should enter Bind mode. Make sure, that wasnt the case.

Again not trying to say you didnt know what you were doing, just making sure :)

as far as the esc. I have seen this with some TX's esp DX8.. that the throttle hold limit sometimes doesnt transmit the exact same value everytime. WHen you initlialized the ESC, were you in Throttle hold for sure? if so, then try to lower the percentage of Throttle hold, so you can let the ESC see absolute zero. Thats the only reason why an ESC wont initialize.. either that or the fact that its not seeing signal from the reciever (being IKON in this case )

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Now, just asking.. Not that I am saying you dont know what you are doing.. When you say IKON / SAT go into Bind mode.. what do you see?

Did the chain of events happen something like this:

Turn on the Ikon first time.. for whatever reason, the ESC didnt initialize.. you disconnected power, TX was left ON .. and you reconnected the battery , at this point, the Satts were blinking.. slow blink.. Now if thats the case, it just means that the DSMX sats are telling you that while your TX was on, the satts lost power (or browned out once) the more times you disconnect it, you will see more blinks. like the second time, you'll see the satts blink twice in a row and stop and again.. and so on..

NOw the bind process: they will go into bind ONLY if you left the Bind plug in on the SYS/ BIND port on the IKON. if not, there is no way IKON should enter Bind mode. Make sure, that wasnt the case.

Again not trying to say you didnt know what you were doing, just making sure :)

as far as the esc. I have seen this with some TX's esp DX8.. that the throttle hold limit sometimes doesnt transmit the exact same value everytime. WHen you initlialized the ESC, were you in Throttle hold for sure? if so, then try to lower the percentage of Throttle hold, so you can let the ESC see absolute zero. Thats the only reason why an ESC wont initialize.. either that or the fact that its not seeing signal from the reciever (being IKON in this case )

They were blinking fast, like if the bind plug was on. I even tried initialize without throttle hold on and the same thing was happening, it was just a strange thing happening. ESC will turn on and go thru cell count and at the same time sats were blinking fast(no bind plug). And at one point when rebinding, the sats went dead, I mean like no lights were showing. As for my throttle hold, I have it 2% below zero. you are correct on the brownout from it having to give a spark or two, but why the fast blinking, that's what got me puzzled. like stated when I reset defaults I was able to bind and esc initialize and went thru its process with ikon showing signal. when pluggin in batt I had the double spark due to loose/crack EC5 casing, that's when the sats were blinking fast like how you would go thru the bind process. I only seen the sats blink fast when going thru bind mode that's why I said bind process, that's the only way I could describe it, there was no other slow blinking or pause on lights. help me out here gaba..lol thanks

Last edited:

wolfman76

would be possible to get it on video might make it easier for us to help you get the problem resolved

Graham Lawrie

To me it sounds as if the Ikon is not working:( The eprom should hold/store your settings. If this keeps happening I would try a warranty claim and get it replaced:)

Just had a second thought:) Check your battery and ESC soldered connections. A dry or bad joint will cause this on your gyro. Connect it as normal, and really flex the wire at the connections where you solder them. If you have the same thing happen, bad soldered joint:)

Last edited:

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
i will look into the solder joint tonight.. As GABA stated it might be due to brown out, but why do both SAT's blink fast like they have the bind plug on. My EC5 housing is cracked and at times when pluggin in the batt to ESC, i miss align the holes and get double spark. its the only ting i can see for now. hope all is well. Hope to fly today if weather permits, its like the rainy season now.

- - - Updated - - -

To me it sounds as if the Ikon is not working:( The eprom should hold/store your settings. If this keeps happening I would try a warranty claim and get it replaced:)

Just had a second thought:) Check your battery and ESC soldered connections. A dry or bad joint will cause this on your gyro. Connect it as normal, and really flex the wire at the connections where you solder them. If you have the same thing happen, bad soldered joint:)

Warranty! Can't do since i am the second owner and the fella that i bought it from is now in rota spain working for naval hospital. Bummer! you guys might meet him out there someday. he will be flying the new LOGO 600sx.

Lee

Dude, I live right next to Rota. If you speak to him, tell him to come fly together :)

Westy

LEGEND
Well ... I am half way through post # 2 .... and just have to go and get an ale..... PSSSST .... ahh that is better! now where was I ..... Ah thats right .... Gabsy's chain of events!

- - - Updated - - -

okay .... beer ... 3/4 consumed ... (Must get a refresher) ..... sounds like you might have turned off your TX before your RX?

the DSMX and DSM2 remember if they get signal loss and will not come back on until you normally have to reinitialise in the correct sequence twice. It has happened to me like that.....

Will be interesting to know what is going on!

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I am not to sure either, but with this big bird I always make sure I get the sequence right from start of flight to after flight. its odd..i just flew and put a new set of batts for second flight and it happen. going to bench test tonight again, will keep you posted.

Top Bottom