General Another day in the books

bigone5500

Flew again today. Didn't get as nervous as the last session but have realized that I am in need of a larger field. I do not feel comfortable enough to try back and forth flying in the small field as I am sure it will end up in tragedy. I'm getting a little more used to the effects of wind on the bird and am trying to train myself to adjust the controls accordingly. This is proving that it will be a long lesson. The somewhat squirrelly behavior exhibited during flight keeps me from being able to use rudder very much. I'm not yet fully confident in trying nose in hover just yet. However, today I was able to successfully take off and land 3 times without any issues. I took the advice of a few here on RCH to not delay when taking off. This proved to be a valuable lesson. I spooled up the main blades and the moment they were at full speed I immediately lifted off without any indication that it was trying to tip to the left as it did previously. Another thing that I think I may want to try soon is to adjust my expo. Currently it is at 25%. I started to put it at 22 or 23% but decided against it. I am having to move the sticks farther that I think they should be but that may be saving me from a crash right now. I would like for the controls to be similar to the ones on RealFlight with them being a wee bit more touchy but for now I suppose 25% expo will have to do.

Later!

Geena

Staff member
Sounds like you had an awesome day. You might want to look into joining a flying club, if there are any near you. Being able to fly in a wide open space will definitely help with progression, and confidence.

When you get into nose in hovering, here is a cool little tip. When the helicopter starts to drift, move the cyclic in the direction that the helicopter is drifting. So if it starts to drift to your left. move the stick to the left. If it drifts to the right, move the stick to the right.

On the BeastX, if you are using one of the preset behavior modes, it already has expo figured into it. So adding expo in the transmitter, will add even more, and could cause your controls to feel mushy. But don`t be afraid to play with the expo, to get the feel you are after.

bigone5500

Sounds like you had an awesome day. You might want to look into joining a flying club, if there are any near you. Being able to fly in a wide open space will definitely help with progression, and confidence.

When you get into nose in hovering, here is a cool little tip. When the helicopter starts to drift, move the cyclic in the direction that the helicopter is drifting. So if it starts to drift to your left. move the stick to the left. If it drifts to the right, move the stick to the right.

On the BeastX, if you are using one of the preset behavior modes, it already has expo figured into it. So adding expo in the transmitter, will add even more, and could cause your controls to feel mushy. But don`t be afraid to play with the expo, to get the feel you are after.
So if I go from say 25% to 20% how much difference would that make?

Geena

Staff member
From 25-20? would probably not be enough to really notice a huge difference. But that being said...give it a try. Bring it down a little at a time until you like the feel. The last thing you want to do, is make big expo changes at one time, and then lose control because it was too quick for you.

bigone5500

From 25-20? would probably not be enough to really notice a huge difference. But that being said...give it a try. Bring it down a little at a time until you like the feel. The last thing you want to do, is make big expo changes at one time, and then lose control because it was too quick for you.
X IV.

(that's medieval radio talk)

Top Bottom