450 And The 450 Dominator Is Born...

Tony

Staff member
But not without issues...

Thanks to URI, I had a perfect Dominator frame sitting in my house with nothing to do with it. So I decided I liked the frame better since I can put the AR7200BX inside the frame and hide the wires. Not realizing at the time that setting it up would be a royal pain in the ass. But I did it.

The story starts MONTHS ago when I first received the frame. I was going to just build the 450L Dominator but the cost of parts would have been more than a Super Combo Kit. So I put the frame in a box and put it up. Then a few weeks later, that is when I decided to put the Dominator frame on the 450 Pro. And I did. I mounted all of the electronics, I mounted the gyro inside the frame and she was ready to setup.

From here, the helicopter sat for a good couple of months. I was too into the quad scene and the helicopters suffered (and apparently so did I...).

Today, I put the helicopter on my desk, and started doing the programming that I knew it needed. I inverted the gyro, so the comp setting would be reversed as would the aileron and tail gyros. Fine, I reversed those and took it out to fly. That is the first, very short, section of the video (I will post the video in a little bit). Once I came back inside, I went through menu G and set center (elevator was a little off) then I did J and actually got a blue light at 6º!!! then I did K and set it to 12º of collective. It was only at 8º...

Then, I went back out and tested it again. I don't know if quads have killed my helicopter fingers or what, but the helicopter didn't feel the way I remember a BX feeling. It was all over the place and it felt like there was only a fraction of an inch between going up and going down, fast! It just didn't feel right. So I cut the flight short and came back in.

I'm sure you noticed that I called this one the 450 Dominator, not the 450L Dominator. That is because I still have the 325mm blades and the stock Pro tail on it. I upgraded the tail block, but put the Pro tail grips on it (Dom grips are wider for larger blades). But, now it sits because working on that gyro is just a severe pain in the ass. I want to put an Ikon in it but I don't have any satellite Rx's to put on it. They are all in the quads. Soldered in mind you. So I would need new wires as well.

So that is where I sit now with the 450 Dom. What do you guys think I should do? Do you think I have been ruined by quads? Is Stambo right, did flying in Attitude mode teach me bad habits? It's funny, I can toss a quad around the sky without a worry in the world. But the second I put this helicopter in the air, I couldn't even fly the damn thing around. My hands just froze. Mainly because the helicopter just didn't feel right. But maybe it's normal and I just don't know it thanks to the quads...

What do you think?

I will try to get the video up here shortly. It's still on the camera and I don't even know if the footage is any good. So there may not be any video. We will just have to wait and see....

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's great. You finally got her together. Looks and sounds good too Tony. Hopefully you can fine more time to fly and enjoy the Dominator. Good luck.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, I need to play around with the parameter menu to see if I can get it a little more stable. It just seems like it's all over the place, way more than before with the same gyro. Only difference is the frame, everything else (head, tail, electronics) are from the Pro V2. I will see if I can get out tomorrow and put a couple batteries through it.

murankar

Staff member
Bout time you shook the dust off. Now its my turn to get out and fly. Now I need to watch the video.

Tony

Staff member
It's not much of a video. Just hovering around thinking that something is not quite right...

Tony

Staff member
Yes I am. I had one tail kick that worried me but it didn't happen again. I meant to take it back out today, but never got around to it.

The BeastX should keep that heli locked in tight and not blowing out. You're running a higher head speed than I do, but even so. How is your expo setup? Maybe try tuning the Beast from the TX

Tony

Staff member
I have the expo set in the BX and not on the Tx. I have always done it that way on this gyro and it's been stable as hell. I really need to just get another satellite Rx and put the Brain in it and leave the BX for something else. Something where you can easily access it.

Smoggie

Tony, the headspeed looked low at the time you got the tail kick, which would explain it. Was it flying in 'normal mode' by any chance?

Otherwise it looks pretty good, just a bit of rust to work out of the fingers maybe?

Tony

Staff member
It's in the exact same mode that it was in. Can't remember what it is though, but it's your setting.

Tony

Staff member
I'm going to. Just need more time. And after the crash today, I'm not flying anything the rest of the day.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, the same quad you crashed the hell out of, but this time, it destroyed everything, including a brand new antenna, my mobius and the card that was in it. One crash, I lost over two bills.

Top Bottom