Prop an f22 foamie propjet..

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
well u guys my have read / seen before.. I was building a ff22... i had been waiting for this ct6b transmitter (as my dx6i is out of order and in horizon hobby) ... i finally got it all set.. yeasterday.. i tried to fly it.. it was mainly like "RC PLANE BLOOPERS" hahahaha.. i caught a couple of feet of air and then came nose down straight into the mud.. my prop adapter kept unscrewing itself.. after about 6 failed and embarrassing tries.. (emabarrassing cause joggers around were going past looking at me all funny.. :( lol) but anywaz.. threw it back in the car.. found out.. that my prop was on backwards :punch: i mean.. seriously??? I KNOW I KNOW>> .. remember .. this is my first plane... leave me alone!!

anywhew.. also found out that my elevator servo was glitching.. I thought about blaming it all on the cheap rx and tx.. but found out that when i soldered the wires for the servo while extending it... i had not taped it right and there was an intermittent short.. so the servo was working sometimes.. and not the other.. well fixed that.. glued the half of motor mount that had came off.. (just hotgue had come out) so.. got that all fixed... LOCKTITED the heck out of the prop adapter..

hope it stays... all in all.. the jet seems like its gonna fly now.. tony told me to put a 6x4.. which i just remembered (while writing this) but .. m not gonna touch that jet now.. it hasa 6x5.5 in it.. m gonna leave it till it comes loose, fallas or breaks.. or worst case my jet doesnt fly.. lol

we'll see.. stay tuned.. there's gonna be a video soon ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
In that video, the prop is on backwards. The flat side should go towards the front, and the little angles tips should go to the rear. Most props will have lettering in the front, but I guess these are different. My bad lol.

I would go to your local hardware store and get some washers that just slide over the prop adapter. That should allow you to tighten your prop down.

64impala

sounds like prop is on backwards to me too. If the prop addapter came with the motor it is proly right size, just try to snug it up good I use small piano wire or a 1.5mm allen through the hole the you shoud be able to just turn the prop to tighten it after first snugging it up some first by hand. Goodluck and keep us updated. I have just got a new motor for my propjets so I will rebuild for it and try to get you guys some pics and video.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Well... Guys.. Update I'd .. F22 went into trash yesterday.. It was a sad day.. I had air gap in ailerons... And that was making the plane roll right and crash. It was too fast for me to correct.. And I was making it stall more than fly.. Btw I hate hand launches.. So.. I am now building Tony's trainer.. I am taking extra care of it crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's kind of.. Let's hope this puppy gets up in the air.. And stays.. Lol.. Thinking the next time I'll make that jet with edf's like Tony if he can post plans.. :) apart from that..

Here's the video:

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0VEfKA6LdJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's embarassing.. Lol. Remrmbr this was my first plane.. I had a longer flight.. Longer by couple seconds Heehee but my camera died.. In the end if the day.. Nose totally broke.. And I thought it's not worth fixing this fuse.. It was pretty damaged at the front.. There are issues.. I need something easier first may be. So let's see.. :)

Last edited:

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Sorry to hear that Gaba. It sux when all of your hard work goes down the drain. Hopefully you'll have more luck with the trainer. As for the video ... it isn't showing up for me.

Tony

Staff member
You definitely got your exercise lol. I can see a few things that went wrong in that video. The plane looks to be tail heavy a little. Where was your CG? Mine is just a hair forward of where they say it is on the plans. And, you are not getting enough speed before you launch it. Meaning, the plane needs to be thrown, not tossed.

I'm sure you watched my video and thought, "hey, Tony just slung it kinda". This is true, but remember I had a lot more thrust than you did.

The other thing, And this is for when you rebuild it. EDF's are not beginner friendly. They have a lot of speed, but not a lot of power. Meaning they will not take off easily, and you can not punch out of a problem.

Either way, we learned some things today. When you get that trainer built, you will see that the controls are quite different feeling from a heli. You will get there man, just takes time.

Keith

Great vid Gaba... If nothing else it gives the rest of us confidence that it's not as easy as it looks when your starting out.... Keep at it mate, I'm sure you will work it out...

Lee

As Tony said. You need to throw it. The times it flew well was when you gave it full throttle. Remember height is your friend. Give it 3/4 to full throttle and throw it like a javelin slightly angled up wards. For your next Jet :D

Tony

Staff member
The jets like that, you want to side toss. Overhand will cut you up pretty good if you don't get your hand out of the way fast enough lol.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
thanks for the input guys... the f22 is in trash now... truck might even have picked it up by now.. lol

built the trainer. took off good.. well... the rubber bands came off... wing flexed.. prop broke.. lol... another time. the same... prop again broke.
This does look like it might fly.. needs a little reinforcement on motor mount. hope i do a better job on that..

Tony

Staff member
Question, were you putting your rubber bands on straight, or in an X pattern? If straight, that is why it came off. I put 4 in the X pattern, and two straight. But, I do X>l l>X, that way it holds the straight ones in place.

Top Bottom